Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

King of the Jungle

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King of the Jungle

Go to most any forum and what do hear. 650 and up class, with broken this that and the other, overheating problems, clutch spring problems, blown differentials, broken CV joints, bent frames, bent A-arms. By comparison you don't hear nearly as many from the 500 and down class. I don't think I would buy a 650 until and unless they made the framework stronger, and bigger axles, CV joints and larger differentials and got the clutch situation squared away, and the heating situation under control, as well as a host of other complains that you hear.

Which is another reason I have a 400 - because I can whale on it and don't have to worry about breaking everything - it doen't have enough power to break things (as the 400 has the same axles, differentials, frame etc as the 500's and 650's). But I go everywhere everyone else goes. And while other guys are waiting for a new differential or axle to be fixed - I am out riding. And you know the occasional mud hole that a 650 with 28" can get through and I can't - well suprise - that is why I have a winch. And when the 650 with 28" runs out of luck and breaks an axle, or blows differentials trying a mud hole -once I winch myself through I tow him home...
So if you all want 950+ UTILITY 4x4 QUADS, don't send me your repair bills and I will surely wave to you standing there while your bike is being fixed, when I drive by on my 400 out for another day of trouble free riding.

And I don't have to worry about breaking a radiator or radiator hose... If I do then I just pinch off the lines and drive home - it is also air cooled, and I don't have to worry about a siezed engine as long as I take it easy. Try that with a liquid cooled if your antifreeze is all over the ground.

I am not just in front of my house pulling wheelies or racing up and down the street at 60mph, sometimes I am alone 10-15 miles back in the woods and reliability is a major thing... It is a long walk home if my machine isn't reliable - and it is not a fun walk expecially if the bears and wolves are hungry.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Triumph Rocket III - 2000cc - 704lbs - 0-100mph in about 6 seconds.

Here you have a motorcycle that is lighter than my AC650 by 50 lbs. It puts out about 150hp and 150lbs of torque. Keep in mind a 2000cc engine undoubtably weighs considerable more than my 650 engine. That leaves even LESS weight for the frame. Toss in the fact that my wheeler has 4x4, and you are left with a motorcycle frame that weighs quite a bit less than my ATV frame, and can handle almost four times the horsepower.

Your theory that the drivetrains of ATV's will not hold up to 800cc's (or more) has officially been proved wrong.

A motorcyle is made to drive down the road. The highest speed limit in the country is 75 mph, and this bike will hit 100mph in 6 seconds. I guess you could say that it has more horsepower than seems necessary. Regardless of what you say, this is a similar situation. You claim more power from ATV's is beyond what can be used reasonably, I would definitely say that the 150hp from the Rocket 3 goes way beyond what is necessary.

Yes, the whole motorcycle thing is reasonably off topic, but it was indeed a legitimate comparison.

And by design and structure if you were to push it 100 or 130 mph it would probably be ok. But to take a relatively light UTILITY 4x4 and push it 75-85mph, by design it was not built for that purpose, you would just be asking for trouble.
The motorcycle is lighter than many ATV's, yet is completely stable at incredible speeds. Is this a fair comparison? No, but it definitely does show that you have been pulling information out of your ***. The only real barrier an ATV has with speed is the fact that it has low pressure tires. Do you think the factories are shipping wheelers to a lawsuit happy country when the ATV can go faster than the tires are rated for?

You have had numerous arguments put to you and you have blindly dismissed every one. You have been proven wrong numerous times with verifiable fact, yet you continue on your rant. You are the one that needs to get with the program.

This thread really needs to get locked.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

Do I hear a noise or is it just the wind blowing?

Old 05-04-2007, 04:33 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: buckaroo50
Go to most any forum and what do hear. 650 and up class, with broken this that and the other, overheating problems, clutch spring problems, blown differentials, broken CV joints, bent frames, bent A-arms. By comparison you don't hear nearly as many from the 500 and down class. I don't think I would buy a 650 until and unless they made the framework stronger, and bigger axles, CV joints and larger differentials and got the clutch situation squared away, and the heating situation under control, as well as a host of other complains that you hear.
Usually these problems are only on bikes that have been modified, and people jump them like sport quads, or use them as a submarine. Nobody ever posts that they went out riding and had no problems. If you ride like a normal person, a big displacement bike would hold up fine. I cant see a reason for over 800cc on a quad, but a 1000cc in a prowler would be nice as they weigh about 1200 pounds, then you ad 2 riders, and a box capacity of 600 pounds, and your looking at well over 2000 pounds, being pushed by a 650cc motor, and you say that a bigger motor wouldnt help? If you dont plan on working it, a 400 is fine for you, I have one, and it is a fine all around machine, but could definately use more power. If you dont want a 800 dont buy it, but dont put down the people that want one.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Dude, you are a work of art if I have ever seen one. You said that a 2000cc motorcycle weighs heavier and can't do 0-100 in less than 10 seconds. However, Chumley just proved to you that they exist. And furthermore, if a 500cc motorcycle can do the same thing that a 1000cc motorcycle other than top speed, why do they build them? You keep your 400cc quad and try pulling a 16ft trailer with 40 bails of hay.....LOL. Just don't send me the repair bill. If you don't want a big bore utility atv, why are you so concerned about other people wanting one? Maybe you are trying to make up for a lack of manhood...LOL.

And, I told you why I need my big bore and its uses, but you haven't mentioned that. You dodge everything that everyone has put out there. So as far as I am concerned, keep blowing in the wind, cause we don't care.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

No, it is all the hot air you and your horse are making on this forum........nothing but a blowhard. You must be a die hard liberal who will refuse to see the truth of what someone is saying, so you selectively pic what you want. JUST BLOWING WIND!!!! LOL