Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Air flow

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air flow

I have a 06' 400 and I want to know if anyone has had any increase in power from installing a K&N air filter vs. stock.

Like many people it looks like I too am looking for more bottom end out of my Cat.

I was reading about clutch kits...does that help.

Don't want to really get into jetting...that can end up being quirky if it's not dialed in properly.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Air flow

it will slightly increase the power. its noticable enough to be worth it.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Air flow

Yes k&n will help - mostly with rate and not as much with volume. To increase volume look up 'air-jetting' in this forum. Cost you about $6.00 for more hp. If mpg is any relative indication then 22% increase in mpg is a good boost in hp (engine working more efficiently and easier). I think your main jet for the 06 is a 142 or 145, with air-jetting you may be able to use a 150.

Yes clutch kits help by letting the motor rev to a higher rpm before engagement. If you do slow articulate stuff then you want slow progressive hookup and not a quick dump of power. Probably best to call Douglas Performance and discuss your options. You may get away with a weight or a spring and not need a kit.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Air flow

Thanks for the advise...definetly going for the K&N. I was reading on another post about the airbox. Do they make a make a filter that replaces the top of the box? Or is there another way to increase airflow to the filter?

Thanks again.

And for anyone else...the 400 is a good machine..I was riding in Pocono Mt. in Pennsylvania this weekend. Kept up with two Polaris 700's. Except going up these long hills...They definetly pulled away....BUT in the trails my Cat easily outhandled these Polaris machines on the trails...Hands Down!!

Old 08-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Air flow

If you look at the post 'air-jetting' it explains how to get more air to your air box and there are some pictures with a following post. Cost about $6.00

Old 08-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air flow

You said you do not want to get into jetting, but you will need to rejet if you change your intake too much. The filter you can get away with, (and since you won't need to rejet, there won't be much difference) but if you start 'air-jetting' or increase the size of the intake you will need to rejet.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Air flow

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Semperfire

And for anyone else...the 400 is a good machine..I was riding in Pocono Mt. in Pennsylvania this weekend. Kept up with two Polaris 700's. Except going up these long hills...They definetly pulled away....BUT in the trails my Cat easily outhandled these Polaris machines on the trails...Hands Down!!</end quote></div>

You might want to also check out 'How to make the AC handle better' also in an earlier post. There may be some helpful tips in there to make your AC handle even better than what it already does.

I'm doing pretty good eh, Chumley?.. lol

Old 08-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Air flow

Yeh, what is it now, a two day stretch in the AC forum? I haven't started following you outside of this forum.

yet

Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Air flow

i dont own one of theese but i know this it would probly be esear to re jet than a new cluch... i have re-jeted but not a cluch... if a 12 year old kid can do it so can u...... and just remove the air box lid...

Old 08-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Air flow

It's not really that easy unless you are already running rich. More air means you need more gas, so unless you are already jetted wrong, adding more air is likely to require jetting.

Clutch springs are super easy if you have the proper tools. Neither rejetting nor putting in my springs was difficult, I suggest both. =)

Quick Reply: Air flow