Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Cat upside down

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well went out riding today. Went up to the Owyhee mtns. There was a little snow on the trail but so what. The wife had to go for a potty break, so I let her have the Cat. After about 10 minutes or so a guy comes up the trail and says " There's an
ATV down the trail and it's rolled over in the creek and there's a lady trapped under it. So off I run, down the trail with about 6 more guys behind on their machines. Sure enough, It's just like the guy said. Well several of us lifted it up and one of the guys I was riding with slid my wife out from under the machine. She's okay, just has a few bruises. Good thing she was wearing a helmet and the creek was frozen over. Could have crushed her skull or maybe drowned. Anyway we rolled it up
right, winched it out of the creek bed (about 15 foot drop off). Left side of the handlebar is broken completely off. and the left rear rim is ruined. But it started right up and I rode it out. All 24 miles with one handlebar and a flat rear tire. Also ripped the fender flares off the the plastic. I do have insurance, so I think I'll be ok. As for the starting and being able to drive it that far under duress speaks highly of The strength of the frame and the AC in general.

Old 01-07-2001, 11:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like a rough time. The one thing I am wondering is why the guy that told you that didn't help her get it off? I'm guessing that he couldn't do it by himself or something.

Old 01-07-2001, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Minehunter:
Very sorry to hear about the accident there, hope your wife is doing OK, starting to feel better. I can't believe that guy didn't do something himself. That's crazy, seeing somebody in that predicament, yet not doing anything about it. Good thing you were able to get there quick enough, she wasn't seriously injured, and it's a damn good thing it was frozen over, that probably saved her right there.

Anyway, best of luck to her feeling better, and good luck getting the 'Cat back in action. Good story though of the one handle bar, 24 mile ride out with bad rear tire!

Mike

Old 01-08-2001, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

He couldn't lift it off her by himself as he was an older man. He is in his 70's. He was out sight seeing with his wife in an older Bronco and he left his wife with my wife while he came up the trail looking for us. We were stopped at the time taking a lunch break and my wife didn't tell him how far up the trail it was to us. She's gonna be sore for a day or two, but other than being scared and bruised she will be ok.

Now before all this happened. Yesterday I changed the main jet in my 500 auto. It has been backfiring and running rich since I bought it back in April. I have almost 1700 miles on it. The jet it came with was a 145, I put a 140 in it and it leaned it out to just about right i'm thinking by looking at the plug and the backfiring is gone. I do most of my riding at above 3000 feet and up to 10,000 feet. I don't know if I was imaging things, but before the unfortunate incident it seemed to have more power and spunk.

Old 01-08-2001, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Minehunter:
Ah, good thing then his wife was there to at least comfort your wife till help arrived. Again, very sorry to hear about the accident, hope she gets to feeling better.

As for your backfiring, how often did it occur? Most of my riding is done between 3,000-6,000 feet. I occassionally get a back fire when running full throttle for a while, then cutting off immediately to no throttle at all. Only happens here and there, so you think this is normal, or could it need to be re-jetted?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 01-08-2001, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

Cowboy, mine would also backfire under the same circumstances as you describe. After installing the jet it didn't. Just a coincidence, I don't think so. Like I said mine was running rich, black plug and all. Now just a nice dark tan color after 43 miles and a new jet. To rejet you have to remove both side plastics and the gas tank. remove the screws that hold the airbox and side it back. Remove the airduct and then the carb from the engine. Mine only took about 15 minutes to put in and was $2.00 for the jet.

Old 01-08-2001, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

You reveal your priorities, minehunter!

The title of your topic appears telling; "Cat upside down."

Not, "Wife Survives AC Spill," even, "Wife Under Cat Upside Down." Just, "CAT upside down."

For your sake, I hope your spouse does not frequent the ATV Connection Forum. Does she know you revealed the explicit, and in no way flattering, purpose of her excursion? More delicately,you COULD have said only, "She went for a short ride."

Then, you provide lots more words about the condition of the AC than of the wife . . .

Hey, from your previous posts I realize you're intelligent enough to realize I'm only kidding, and perceptive enough to realize I'm married, too. I'm thankful your wife wasn't seriously injured; oh, yes; same for the Cat!

Diogenes