Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Front locker not unlocking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front locker not unlocking?

I just got a 400LE yesterday and when i have it in fully locked 4wd and then go to unlock it it never unlocks sometimes.... Does it just take a while or something? I just put it back in the lock position and drive on for a little and then try later and it works... It is a brand new 07 model... Will this just have to break in or something? Also on the v belt housing when i hit the throttle a little but don't go anywhere i can hear a slight knock at first in there, is this normal? I don't think anything is wrong just wondering if anyone else has this cause this is my first ATV.... Also when i was going from low gear to high one time it bogged down when i started going and then the gear said E.... I just shifted into another gear and then back and it was fine, i might have been kinda between gears or something.... Thanks for any help...

Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

does it say its not unlocked and it really is? or is it really not unlocked? sometimes the display will say its still in 4 whell drive which in fact its not. if this is the case keep driving and see if it will go off.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

Well i rode it today and didn't seem to have a problem with it... It fixes sometimes if i just keep going but sometimes it feels like it is still fully locked.... Im afraid to keep going with the light on in case it is still locked and then it tries to unlock while im driving... Will that hurt it if it does that?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

my 650 was a little hard shifting sometimes when it was brand new.
also made the noise in the clutch.
Locking the front in also did the the same thing. ( the fix )
I took mine out & ran it pretty hard- not necessarly fast, but hard..
I would change from low to high back and forth about every 10 min.
same thing with locking in the front drive. back & forth many times a day.
Mine runs much smoother now, only 130 miles on it.
Be sure & check front & rear differential for proper levels on gear oil. both of mine were allittle low from the factory.

Everyone has little problems with new bikes. the biggest problem is they are new
and the manuels say to baby them during breakin. NOT saying to ride it like you stole it but Well that is simply my thoughts.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer

How important is the "break in process"? I have been taking it pretty easy and not driving around full throttle or anything but earlier today i was on my way home and saw a cop drive down the street that intersected the one i was on and figured someone called them so i turned around and did about from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle all the way home which was about a mile and a half.... Is that very bad?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

hell no, many people believe that you break in a motor in the first hour. they ride it really fast, seat the rings very quickly, change the oil- get that break in oil out and new oil and filter right away. best compression, will not burn any oil because the rings seated properly, simply not by the mnfgr. way to break in but I did my 1400 intruder---my dodge HEMI -----and my 650 h1 all the same way.. Many people that race do and swear by this method;
Everyone has a different opinion.
Since break-in I drive all mine normaly. I need power i use it. I dont need to go fast, i dont.
Start a new topic and ask poeple how they break in new motors on 4x4's, bikes trucks Ect..
I'll try to find a web-site for you that I read about a year ago

Old 03-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

I was hoping it wouldn't hurt it... It kinda had a smell to it but my dad told me all new motors have that so i figured it was probably normal... I figured it wouldn't be a problem but just kinda wanted to hear someone else say it, lol...

Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

you got a tuff 4wheeler, just check all fluid levels. esp front and rear diff.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

mototuneusa.com has the break in period for new 4 strokes. this may be what you wanted mudbug5.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

That is it!!!!!