Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Need some feedback on AC's

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year when I was shopping for a quad I almost bought an Artic Cat, before finally deciding on a Yamaha Wolverine. The decision was made mostly because my Yamaha dealer let me take a test drive, while the Arctic Cat dealer wouldn't.

Since then I've heard some REALLY bad things about cats. ie. they can't climb sandy hills very good, they don't handle very good, they good for nothing except work.

I still really like the look of AC quads, and still have it on my list of possibilities if I were to buy a 500 auto.

So, what I'd like is to hear from AC owners of examples of situations when they were riding with people on other quads, and how they compared. I don't know anybody with an AC that I can go riding with, so I can't see for myself.

Thanks alot for your help.

Old 01-17-2001, 08:33 PM
Range Rover

I cant speak for sandy hills because in ontario where i live we dont have many hills at all let alone sand hills, I would however think that AC's handle just as well as any other UTILITY quads on sand hills.Keep in mind thats AC's are utility machines NOT sport machines which means they are generally heavier, slower, and geared for torque vs speed in relation to SPORT quads. As for handling, the AC500 manual that I own handles like a dream, very little body roll ,good accleration( for a utility ) and exceptional braking. My 500 is a UTILITY quad, therefore its heavy and therefore its not as nimble as a sport bike,it wont spin on a dime, and "getting air" is quite anticlimatic.Having said all that I'm very pleased with my 500 ,Ive put 900miles on it now with no trouble at all, just routine oil changes.I use it around the farm and for hunting, anything from trail riding to moving large 500bu wagons( empy of course but still 5000lbs !! easy to pull but ya gotta be carefull when if comes to stoppin lol) and it has never let me down.

Old 01-17-2001, 11:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

They aren't the sportiest made, but they aren't a boring quad to own either. Miles ahead of a 400 Foreman if you want to talk work only. As far as climbing sandy hills, that would have to go for any quad that weighs over 600lbs. and has a limited slip front end. Other than that, the only thing that might hinder one from the other would be tire, and AC gives you good tread from the factory. As good or better than anyone else.

Think about the climbing thing. There really isn't any feature that would make them less than anything else at it other than maybe a locked front end. That rules out everything non-polaris or a king quad. They can climb as good as any other.

Stability is the best I have ever ridden. Confidence is no problem in hairy steep situations or sidehills. Ride comfort is great. Turning is heavy compared to some, but as good as most others. Power is unbelievable. Speed is not breathtaking, but as good as most, and better than a lot.

How tough are they? Well, I have waited on this one, and now they have been around long enough for me to say this. I've had mine 2 years, and I've seen a lot of people that have gotten them and talked about them over the last 2 years too. I can honestly say that I think that they are built every bit as tough as any Honda ATV made. Honda is the best built quad, and I think the AC is just as tough. Not a lot of problems that I know of from anyone. Frame is the best. Engine seems to be trouble free. Transmission is as tough as any manual. Auto is probably the best belt drive available save for its twin on the Quadmaster.

A great quad. Not for everyone, cause tastes are different across the scale, but as far as a utility goes, you will not find a better quad for the money.

Also, if anyone ever tells you something bad about the heel-toe shifter, tell them to F-off. That is a null point that has been mulled over numerous times, because people that don't like AC can't think of anything else to pick out.

Old 01-17-2001, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Are Arctic Cat's as sporty as your Wolverine?
Hell no.

Can Arctic Cat's be riden agressivly and sporty?
Hell yea. I do it all the time, and mine is a full-time 4wd. Not the 2wd models they have now.

About sandy hills, can't realy say. About the only sand I have climbed was from a dumptruck. When I climbed it I went after a guy that had a 450 with 27" Mud Bugs and got just as high as his ruts.

About handleing, they handle ok. When I am going into long 90 degree turns at 35mph or faster I notice the body roll alittle, but it's much worse(IMO) when you have the outside front suspension compress and your inside rear tire lifts off the ground like it would on a swing-axle quad.

If you want proof about how they can be used for sport riding take a look at my pictures, you will see my getting some air time on that 650lb beast. And thats just a SMALL taste of it.

Bottom line is, YOU make the quad. If you know how to ride aggressive, you can do it. It don't matter what bike it is.

Old 01-18-2001, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

I live near a gravel pit that is pretty big. It must be around 80acres in size. So there is some huge hills. No its not sand, but it is pea gravel. which is really slippery, And I havent met a hill the cat cant climb. If your planning on doing a lot of sport riding I wouldnt get the cat. Unless your talking mudding. But if all you are doing is riding in sand/ dune. I would stick with a good old 2 wheel drive. Like the banshee or ds.
matty

Old 01-18-2001, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Mighty defensive of our machine aren't we? That heel-toe thing is obviously bothering you, though. You don't value anyone else's opinion but don't mind voicing yours in long-winded posts. Telling people to tell others to f*** off makes you sound like a good person to not accept any advice from. You shouldn't make such ridiculous and callous statements, you only make an *** of yourself.

Old 01-18-2001, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

I think if your looking for the 500 auto class. Then the Arctic Cat is the best. The Polaris Sportsmans are great but they have like 24 grease zerks that you have to maintain. Some of them are in very tight spots. My dad has two of them and I maintain his quads. Arctic Cat has really thought out the machine and made it more user friendly when it comes to maintenance. They have created access holes to be able to get to and fill up the fluids. The Polaris machines you need a funnel with a tube to fill up the radiator. The new Kawasaki is too new to be able to tell what kind of problems they are going to have. I am not sure but all the other Kawasakis have had drum brakes for the rear. Disc brakes are much better. The Grizzly is only oil cooled vs the liquid cooled machines. The liquid cooled machines will hold a cooler temperature. This wil make the engine last longer. If I was to buy a 500 class machine the Arctic Cat would definetly be my first choice. The Polaris or Kawasaki would be my second.

Old 01-19-2001, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

I ride with 2 Grizzlys and a SP500 when we hunt for about 2 weeks in many different terains,in the mountains and in swamps while pulling heavy meat trailors. These guys paid from $800.00 to $1000.00 more than I did and the Cat does everything they do just as well, if not better than some. They finally have a lot of respect for the Cat now that they have seen it in action for 3 years now with NO breakdowns. No better machine for the Money!!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2001, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your reply Richard, and that's a great photo album you have. Did you scan photos, or use a digital camera?

When you're hunting I don't imagine you got a chance to see who's quad was fastest did you?
How about quickest?

Old 01-19-2001, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

When I had my photos developed I had them put them on a disc.
No we never raced. But like the other guys said in here the Cat is not Known for its speed. Its got lots of power (torque), low maintenance, ride comfort, dependability, and lower pricing.

Quick Reply: Need some feedback on AC's