Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

06 AC Digital Guage trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 AC Digital Guage trouble

Well the other night i went mudding and everything was working and running fine. I did take it through some water but no where any different from normal, infact the previous night even before that it was in higher water and the gauges where still fine the next night. Well last night I went to hop on and the things wont work. Normally it seems like they go through a check gauge sequence where it lights up then the speedo needle flutters a little and all the digital dash compents are light up for a brief second and then shows all the info. Well its not doing any of that. I washed the 4wheeler thinking I got it to muddy, didn't work. Wiggled around the wires going to the dash didn't work. Checked fuses and looked for broken wires and even pulled the battery and still nada. Does anyone have any suggestions...I just got the thing brand new last summer last 06 left and this is the only problem i have had with it.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

unfortunately the pod isnt servicable so its junk. if you have a warranty you could probably get it covered. there expensive too. prob about $200-250 rough guess

Old 03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

actually i just unplugged the battery for a couple hours after washing it..and it works now...I am so glad.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

I'm glad that worked out for you. I was going to mention a blown fuse, but i guess that wasn't it.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

good to hear man. ill remember that if it ever happens to me.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a simular problem on my 2006 AC 400 FIS Auto a few week's ago when i started it up after it sit up for a month without starting or putting the battery tender on it to keep the battery fully charged , it was cold outside the temperture was below freezing when i tried to start it ; i turned on the ignition switch everything lit up on the display like alway's !

And i hit to electric choke 3 time's , then turned over the engine about 3 revalution's ; then i pumped the choke 3 more time's and hit the starter again this time it fired right up but the display went blank !

Then the display started blinking VOLT on and off , but the engine kept right on running untill it warmed up and idled down to the normal RPM's to engauge reverse ; then i desided to ride the quad over to this park where i have a track i ride over these high tention power line's with some steep hill's !

I rode around this track that's about 5 tenth's of a mile going up and down and around till i put about 10 miles on the quad's , at least i think it was that long of a ride ; but even after all this riding the VOLT signal kept blinking on and off the whole time !

When i got back to the house it was still flashing and i was about to get my battery tender and hook it to the battery for a slow trickle charge overnight , when the Utility water meter reader came up and started talking about how big my Cat was ; while we were talking the engine suddenly died !

I told the guy about how the VOLT code was blinking and i was going to have to get out the battery tender , just before i started to turn off the ignition switch i heard the clicking sound the display make's when you turn the swith on before starting ; and the display lit up like normal when i pushed the start button it fired right up !

So i thought i would ride back over to the track before dark and ride a few more mile's to charge the battery up , and after this ride it was over two week's since i tried to start it up for another ride ; but this time it was in the low to md 60's and she fired right up on the first revolution of the engine !

I guess i'm one of the luckiest Arctic Cat owner's on the forums , because i've never had to replace the original battery on my Cat ; or even had to charge it after leaving it week's and an occationaly up to 2 month's in between a simple startup of the engine to keep to battery fully charged !

And tire's on my Cat are the original stock tire's , and have never had to add air to them since i bought the Quad on Feb. 7 th 2006 ; and the weak side wall's that other's on the Arctic Cat forums have had tire's to roll and seperate the tire bead loose from the rim's with the BadLand's but i've never had that trouble with mine !

And someone on the forums complained about get a flat tire from Black Berry torn's , and i've put the Cat to the test in all kind's of terrain without any trouble there either !

And some were saying their brake's
would go down over night , if they left the parking brake on ; and that hasn't haven't to me even wihen i left them on all the time just to see if they would !

So just keep it maintained and it will never let you down as long as you you treat it right , it will take care of you so i hope you get as much as luck and have fun riding your AC as i do mine and Welcome to the forums !......

Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine died too...out of the blue. I have talked to a few people around here with the same problem. I have heard that they have a cold solder joint in the cluster and it has been a common problem. The Artic Cat dealer says they have replaced quite a few but they won't recall them. Glad mine came with an extended warranty but still going to cost $50 for a defect! Grrrrrr

Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chamstreet i hate to hear of your problem , like i stated above this has been my only problem with my 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto ; as it turned out the reason my Quad did this the battery was almost dead that caused this to happened !

And after i rode it to recharge the battery , the pod wasn't working untill i rode it long enough to put a good charge back into the battery ; but the pod didn't start working untill the engine stalled then it started working by itself when the engine was started !

And on restart the pod liteup and worked like it did the day i bought it and it has never done this again , one other thing i would like to mention on the LCD pod display the fuel indecator with the light bars has never worked right since i got it new ; i've heard that others have had theirs replaced under warranty only to have them to do the same right after they got it back !

They said their dealers had to replace the fuel tank and all because the gas gauge is built into the tank and the only way to fix the fuel gauge was to replace the tank and all , i got a rubber strip gauge like the one that hooked to the gas cap on the Suzuki LT4WD quads to check the fuel in the tank ; i didn't want to wait a month and have the same thing happen again !

I haven't had mine in deep mud since we've been in a severe drought for 2 years since i bought my 2006 AC 400 Auto , even though the fuel gage work's it just doesn't work the way it's suppose to ; so i ride it anyway and carry an extra 2 and a ahlf gallon jug of gas when i go riding my quad hold's 6.5 gallon's of fuel so i don't worry about running out of fuel !

Here's hoping this isn't something you'll have trouble again , welcome to the fourms ; and let us know if you have the same problem again !........

Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

I also heard the gas gauge doesn't work worth a crap on them. I have an 08 650 H1 and same thing w/ that i have like 30 miles on the tank now and only shows like 2 bars left. I was told you should be able to get around 100 miles on a tank so i'm just gonna ignore my gauge and find out if i run out sooner or not haha.