Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Help please, advice for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please, advice for upgrade

rEAD PLEASE AND ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

(me)hi, i have a 2003 arctic cat 250 2x4 and i want some more power in it, one of my friends told me i should look into getting a new exhaust system, i dont know much at all about this and was curious if anyone knew of an exhaust system that would help my fourwheelers power but not to expensive, and also after i get one, he said something about a jet system and air intake? im not familiar with this, do i need one when i get my exhaust, thanks alot for your help
?

(AWNSER) a new pipe will add a nice gain and you will need to rejet because of the pipe. a dynojet kit will help with power as well. if you add a high flow air filter you will have to rejet as well.

(ME) k so is this dyno kit an exhaust kit or what, will it replace my muffler, and if i get this is need a new air intake? do you recommend any kind, what all would i need? annd the dyno kit, is it a pretty good one, i looked it up, do u think it would help alot in my take off?and what about sound, i like a muscle sound would it change it at all? thanks alot

(ME) ooh ok so your saying after i get the muffler or exhaust kit i need i need the dynokit with it, ok, and i looked i cant find any that says it will work with a arctic cat 2003 250 2x4

Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

i have a speedwerx pipe on my 400 and it made a great improvement. im not sure if anyone makes a pipe for the 250 youll have to look around. you can try gutting out your current pipe. it will be significantly louder though. a pipe from speedwerx will add a nice low growl and will add alot of low end. but by adding the pipe or gutting the exhaust the motor is breathing better so you will need to up your pilot jet. the pilot jet controls fuel flow from just off idle to i believe quarter throttle. so the engine will want more fuel for the pilot circuit. the dynojet kit is jets for the carb as well as an adjustable fuel needle. the new fuel needle will make a new fuel curve and its adjustable so you can get better tuneability for the midrange. so yes the dynojet kit will help low end. you wont need to alter your intake for either of these mods. an aftermarket air filter will help but it will also require you to rejet. adding 2" snorkels to your air intake will give you great gain as well but yup you guessed it youll need to rejet. but its going to be tough to find mods for the 250. but a new high flow air filter 2" snorkels and a pipe and rejetting will give you a great gain. if you can find a dynojet kit for the 250 go for it.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/atv/arctic.aspx can u take a look at the second one down on the list, is this what i need, and that info was really helpful thanks alot, and ya im having alot of trouble finding an exhuast system that will fit, would a universal exhaust slip on pipe work? and the rejetting part i dont know how to do that, wouyld it be easier to take it to a atv shop and let them do it? or is it really simple, and by guttin do u mean taking out all the old pipes tht connect form the mufler to the engine and putting a new set in form there? thanks alot

Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

thats the dyno jet ya need right there. as far as a universal pipe those are usually to make your atv quieter and can reduce power. if you take your current pipe off and cut the end cap off with a sawzall and drill out the baffles inside you will make the pipe free flowing thus making more power. but more noise as well. or if your pipe has a spark arrestor you can buy a tube that bolts in place of the spark arrestor that will make a little more power. as far as rejetting your dealer can do it but im sure it will cost ya a pretty penny. jetting is basically changing the jets in the carb up or down depending on a rich or lean condition. rich condition will make a black spark plug and will require you to go down a size in jetting. a lean condition means your not getting enough fuel and you will need to go up a jet size. but this is all very vague as there is alot more to it. there is a pilot circuit a main curcuit and midrange. the dyno jet kit will walk you through how to install there product according to what you have installed on your machine for mods. but its just a bassis to start off of. you will need to figure out how your atv is runnning after that. if youde like pm me your email address and ill send you a bunch of info on jetting. with some very helpful tips and tricks.