Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

artic cat throttle stuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default artic cat throttle stuck

i recently purchased the 2008 700 trv efi 2up. i put a little over 100m on it and sent it in for service. the following weekend me a a group of approx 10 others went for a casual ride thru ne pa. i was stopped on top of a little ditch type hill and when i released the brake the atv took off throwing me from the machine and then it continued up the hill for approx 70 yards before it struck a log that was in the brush causing it to flip over and alot of damage. has anyone experienced this with an artic cat machine or is there a problem that i am not aware of.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

probably needs a new throttle cable

Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

is it possible that the cable was binding and caused the problem? seems too new for corrosion. Did it ever do this before you took it in for service?

Old 05-11-2008, 04:15 AM
Pro Rider

My TRV throttle does this as well but it is when I get moisture in the cable and then it freezes. Never had an issue when the temp was well above zero. If I remember correctly if the throttle cable broke then the throttle would close not open up.

Since it is a EFI then the throttle cable would be connected to a computer that controls the fuel injection. They way you describe it I am leaning towards some type of computer malfunction. EFI opened up when it was not sent a signal to. Since it is computer ized I believe a dealer can p[ut it on a computer and test it to see if it has had an error. at least they can with a car.

Congrats on the new TRV, sorry to hear about the wreck but it sounds like nobody was hurt? Welcome tot he forum.
SJ

Old 05-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

i thank you for your info. dealer checked with artic cat and they don't want to cover anything. the dealer just did the service on it three days before we all went for a ride and they don't want want to take any credit for the problem either. so now i am shopping for a frame, left a-arm a and its time to rebuild a new quad, figure the engines only got 150 miles on it.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

if it was running fine before you took it in for service, you may want to take it somewhere else so you can find out what ezactly caused the throttle to stick and be able to back it up with a different co. findings.. If it really got stuck and caused that much damage, well it got stuck for a reason. just my opinion..

Old 05-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

i would like to, but my area is limited onac service. i initially took it to another ac dealer after it happened, but they are breaking away from ac due to some bad friction between the two. plus i have waited til next winter to get it back since my ride to them ment nothing. i am stuck with where it is.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

I am pretty sure that with it being an EFI machine the throttle cable connects to a sending unit via a cable. The sending unit sends an electronic signal to the CDI or computer and fuel is injected accordingly. That is sort of how cars work so I am assuming the ATV version is similar. Sio if the throttle stuck and you did not touch it, then I am thinking a computer malfunction.

The curious thing is that you should have heard it revving up if you had the brake on and the throttle was stuck. IT went 70yds UP a hill the throttle was oopen. The brake lever is hydrolic and is not cennected to the throttle except for the start in gear feature (if it has one) at ignition. You should have them inspect the computer and run a diagnostic check for error codes. They hook it to their computer and check it.

If they screwed it up during the routine maintenance it might show an error code. OR they can say its not their fault. If it were me and they did not even show a little concern or offer to help, no gaurantee it won't happen again! Then I would NEVER go back there again get your replacement partsome place else.

I can tell you if the frame is just cracked, weld it. If it is bent a little you will probably not notice other than tire wear. I had an old suzuki king quad that I got for free that was rolled down a 150 embankment with about 500 miles on it. It was literally a frame with a differential and an engine and a pile of junk. I put about $500 in parts and repaired what I could. Frame was bent and I never fixed it. I had to cut off some parts with a torch the suspension was tweaked so bad. Ran that thing for almost 10 years and never noticed. Sold it with nearly 7000miles on it. Just depends on how YOU want it to look. My old suzuke looked bad but still got me in and out of where I wanted to ride. I don't really care how it looks just watn it to run and be dependable. Everybody is different.

SJ

Old 06-09-2019, 05:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2018 textron altera

Originally Posted by thorpie
i recently purchased the 2008 700 trv efi 2up. I put a little over 100m on it and sent it in for service. The following weekend me a a group of approx 10 others went for a casual ride thru ne pa. I was stopped on top of a little ditch type hill and when i released the brake the atv took off throwing me from the machine and then it continued up the hill for approx 70 yards before it struck a log that was in the brush causing it to flip over and alot of damage. Has anyone experienced this with an artic cat machine or is there a problem that i am not aware of.
[spoil

Old 06-09-2019, 06:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

My throtle did not stick,thum lever for throtle was set to squeeze about 1/4 inch,got on machine to check for younget rider,pressed thumb lever it released,then machine went wild,throwing me off reving up at full throtle,did not stop until hitting a pine tree at full speed about 40 yards away.Impact shut it off,with considerable amount of damage.Machine has under 30 miles on it,so for dealer or artic cat wont acknowledge a problem,I suspect EFI and computer

Quick Reply: artic cat throttle stuck