Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

'05 650 V2 Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 650 V2 Idle Problem

Hi all,
I bought the 650 V2 last week and it rides great. The only problem is, once it warms up, it does not idle. There are no starting issues, as it fires right up every time, and as long as I give it a little throttle, it'll stay running.
The PO said he had some work done on the choke last winter, though I can't tell any difference in the RPMs with the choke opened or closed.
I bought it to haul my ice fishing gear in the winter, so I have time to get it fixed, but I am not real sure what to look for. Is there an idle adjustment screw somewhere that is accesible?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Really? 50 Views and nobody has an answer on this? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Range Rover

I am not sure about your bike, but mine has an idle adjustment **** right behind the carb. easily accessible from the right side while sitting on the bike! Good luck man!

Old 05-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer

How many miles does it have? Might check the valve adjustment, if the idle dont help. Usualy if the valves are tight it wont idle and is hard to start once warm.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

Its neither valve adjustment or idle adjustment, your choke is sticking causing it to start fine when its not already warmed up but once its warm you will have to give it gas for it to run, A lot of times they will smoke a little bit to but mine never did. Only one of my chokes were stuck open causing it to run really goofy but most the times they will both stick and make it run like crap and not idle, I had an 06 V-2 and all the V-2 Cats have cable issues, the cable goes down into a U and the water sits and corrodes the cable, the guy probably took the cable off like I did and oiled it up, these cables get water in them all the time and there is really no fix other than oil yours up or buy a new one and oil it up before you put it in. The cables stick and hold the choke open after they corrode, Its probably time to get a new cable if he already messed with it and its acting up again, some people have actually had these cables corrode and brake, I have a new in the bag choke cable for a 2004-2006 V-2 for sale, never been used, got it for mine then traded it in for the T-Cat and now have the new cable to sell. im asking $70 for mine being I paid $73.99 for it

Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Sindelir

Its neither valve adjustment or idle adjustment, your choke is sticking causing it to start fine when its not already warmed up but once its warm you will have to give it gas for it to run, A lot of times they will smoke a little bit to but mine never did. Only one of my chokes were stuck open causing it to run really goofy but most the times they will both stick and make it run like crap and not idle, I had an 06 V-2 and all the V-2 Cats have cable issues, the cable goes down into a U and the water sits and corrodes the cable, the guy probably took the cable off like I did and oiled it up, these cables get water in them all the time and there is really no fix other than oil yours up or buy a new one and oil it up before you put it in. The cables stick and hold the choke open after they corrode, Its probably time to get a new cable if he already messed with it and its acting up again, some people have actually had these cables corrode and brake, I have a new in the bag choke cable for a 2004-2006 V-2 for sale, never been used, got it for mine then traded it in for the T-Cat and now have the new cable to sell. im asking $70 for mine being I paid $73.99 for it</end quote></div>

I had a suspicion it was something to with the choke/cable. It does't feel right or, like I said, idle right when the choke is engaged. I'll have the local guy look at it as I have a tendancy to booger up things when I tear into it. Thanks.