Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

400 carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 carb problems

A lot of ATV and Moto riders never think twice about fuel or the fact that is actually goes bad (and rather quickly too) so the more info they have and use to keep their fuel system clean, the more time they will have riding them and not working on them. Before i started using "additives" on dirt bikes, I was constantly cleaning carbs. Mixed gas turns to crap fairly quick! Even with Stabil, you have to be careful not to let the gas sit too long or you will have some varnish in your bowl.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 carb problems

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sassee

A lot of ATV and Moto riders never think twice about fuel or the fact that is actually goes bad (and rather quickly too) so the more info they have and use to keep their fuel system clean, the more time they will have riding them and not working on them. Before i started using "additives" on dirt bikes, I was constantly cleaning carbs. Mixed gas turns to crap fairly quick! Even with Stabil, you have to be careful not to let the gas sit too long or you will have some varnish in your bowl.</end quote></div>

Good point and that is why I also add some carb cleaner each and every time (failed to mention that earlier but my mix is MMO, dry gas, alcohol and carb cleaner). I also went to the local auto parts store and bought a lawnmower plastic, see through, gas line filer for $1.99 (which I swap out every year). Cheap protection. You get dust in your gas tank from the vent tube (which allot of people don't realize) and the gas filter helps to keep that out of the carb. Also, if I happen to run out of MMO I use 2-stroke oil from my chainsaw - just 2 or 3 cap fulls per tank - again this helps keep the top end of the engine lubricated.