Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition problems

A buddy of mine is having some problems with his 2001 375cc. He says it will start but as soon as you give it gas it will die. he had the carb cleaned and installed a new plug but that was no help. Our area has no artic cat mechanics and the local suzuki dealer says they cant help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition problems

I would check the choke, and then let it idle for a few minutes and then shut it off and check the color of the plug. If the plug is black then it is running rich if it is white it is running lean.

Running rich would mean it is getting too much fuel and not enough air when the throttle it applied.
Lean means not enough fuel when the throttle is applied.

It could be running rich because the choke (which is an enrichment system on your model) is sticking, stuck or not functioning. It operates by moving a little plunger. You also could have some junk still stuck in a jet after it was cleaned. You local Suzuki mechanic must be a real JERK because your engine is made by Suzuki.

I would also check to see that the air filter is clean so it can get air and that it has good fuel flow out of the tank. (shut off the fuel flow and disconnect the fuel line from the carb then open the valve and check the flow) It sounds like you have good spark so all you need to do is figure out why the three are not in the proper mix for it to run correctly.

SJ