Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2003 Arctic Cat 400 auto 4x4 wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Arctic Cat 400 auto 4x4 wiring issue

Hi Guys

I am trying to fix our 2003 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 its a automatic tranny.
I have this issue
I had a wire broken in half under the fuse block and have fixed that.
When I reinstalled the block and put a new battery in the neutral light lights up. And for a short window of time it would start and run fine. I did some cosmetic stuff like rack painting, plastic choke lever and a new seat cover nothing that I would think could affect wiring.

Now if I let the thing sit for a short while I can go out and turn the key and the neutral light will come on as soon as the kill switch is slid to run, the light goes out and the fuse block is dead no power at all. I have power at the accessories plug constant. The starter relay circuit tests good and the cdi is good as it was tested on another atv.

Anyone got a clue as to what it might be. I have no power to the handlebar controls when this happens.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like you could still have a short some place. The neutral light should only go out if the machine is in gear. So if you know it is in neutral the short could only be in a few places all having to do with the neutral safety.

Have you tried starting it with the hand brake lever pulled in? Your machine should have a start in gear feature. If it doesn't then the light going out may or may not be connected to the neutral safety.

My other question is how did a wire get broken under the fuse block? Were any other wires broken or pulled loose at the same time?

Does it turn over at all or is it simply dead?

Can you pull start it?

Is the battery charged?

Is the 30amp fuse in the starter selenoid relay good? (little box that the positive battery wire connect to, remove the plastic cover fuse in underneath)

Also check your wire harness over real good at the base of the steering column. Lots of wires bunched together that need to move with the handlebar and they can rub on each other.

hope this helps, If you want I can email you the wiring diagram I have for a 400 if you PM me a email address.

SJ

Old 04-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I pulled the harness and did continuity checks on all wires.
There is no issue in the harness.
The fuse block had a jumper wire off the pink chewed on by a mouse as it grounded out and went to mouse heaven. The atv ran a week ago after I fixed the jumper.
After putting all the fenders and racks on the neutral light blinked and then when the kill switch was slide to run went out. I thought it had to be a short.

The weird thing now is the entire fuse block is showing all grounds. Makes no sense to me. I checked the diodes and they are good. The cdi is good. I totally unwrapped the harness and checked every inch of it. I am at a total loss of what to do next short of putting it together and trying it. But that does not fix anything.

Another thing thats weird is the wiring diagram shows a double white fusing to a single white.
There is no single white wire in the entire harness only a yellow with no home so I am assuming that it goes under the double white.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default update

ok here are a few things that I did yesterday.
I checked the starter solenoid according to the service manual.
I get a less than 1 ohm reading and a audible click on two terminals but on the other 2 the 12 v external pwr source leads start to get hot.

I also checked the voltage regulator/rectifier and I am supposed to get the following
B/w wire with + lead to it
B wire with - lead show read 1-10k ohms it reads 11.34

B/R wire + lead of meter to B wire with - test lead should read 1-15k it reads nothing However the service manual shows
2 prong connector with BR and BW it is actually a

4 prong
BW BW BR BR

Then it shows the 3 prong with all Black wires which it actually is
Not sure if I should rely on these results with the wiring being different

I really do not want to spend 200 on a oem reg or 129 on a ricks if its not bad

Last edited by Rattlerock; 04-05-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default No further explanation but hanging parts

Well
Here goes Voltage to the fuse box is flipping to ground should be a positive. There is only one component that I know of that could cause this issue and that is the Voltage Rectifier/regulator. I am putting a new one on along with a new starter solenoid. We will see if this works. Note to Arctic Cat corp. your service manual sucks!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2003 400 arctic cat. I cannot get spark at the plug. The bolts on the stator came loose and one broke off so I'm assuming that it may have shorted something out. I have replaced the stator, ignition coil, plug wire and plug. The quad will crank but will not start as there is no spark pulse. Could the voltage regulator be the problem? and if so how would I check if it is good or bad? There is one plug on the voltage regulator with 3 connectors which goes to the stator and a second plug with 4 connectors which goes to the CDI. I have power to the ignition coil but not pulsing power. If the stator did have a short to ground would that damage the voltage regulator or the CDI box?