Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking to buy first ATV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I are looking at possibly a 01 Yamaha Kodiak, a Arctic Cat 500 Auto, and a 01 Honda Rubicon. It will mainly be used for snowplowing, trailriding, and maybe pulling a springtooth plow. She is buying one first, and then when I get some money saved, I will buy my first one also. This Forum is very interesting. I really enjoy reading everyone's comments and advice. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Old 09-11-2000, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hammer:
You've picked out three excellent machines, though they are all auto's, so that could be why! I can't speak about the Rubicon, as I have no knowledge of them, other than what I've seen in the papers, but I'm a firm believer that actual "hands on" experience greatly outweighs that of book work, so I won't say anything about them.

As you will notice, I drive a '00 AC 500 Auto, and love every bit of it. I've done more work with this machine than I had originally thought possible, so the work you plan to do with it will be no problem at all. My boss purchased two '01 Kodiaks almost two months ago now. Aside from the fact that they are smaller-400 vs. 500-they are a good machine, and well powered. Thing is, from what I have seen between the two, if I was deciding between the two for work, I'd take the AC hands down over the Kodiak. The Kodiak is nice, but doesn't have what it takes to get the job done as quickly and efficiently-though that's just my opinion.

On the trail, the Kodiak may be a little lighter and thus more "nimble", or quicker than the 500, but that is going to depend on the rider, terrain and what style of riding is important to you. I run a lot of deer and elk trails when not working the big 'Cat, and have had no problems what so ever with the size or weight. It runs strong and smooth, powers in and out of everything I have encountered and is sure footed in the trails. There were a couple places that I went on my 'Cat that my boss couldn't follow me with on the Kodiak. As a result, I had to winch him up as he doesn't have a winch yet himself. (It's coming though) These are just my observations, and while some of it could be lacking of machines capabilities, the other could be just plain rider skill and knowledge of how to ride in different areas.

I would definately recommend you go out and ride all three machines to see what you and your girlfriend like the best. Each one has it's own unique features and qualities that make it what it is. Find one that "fits" you best, where you are comfortable in the seat, you can easily reach the handlebars without causing undue strain on the back (if your girlfriend is really little, this could be something to think about), and your legs are relaxed, yet comfortable and not "cramped". For example, I was looking at the 450ES, AC 500 Auto, and Sportsman 500. The 450ES felt like I was stuck in a little Geo Metro, cramped up in a tin can. For me, it was very uncomfortable, and would have definately given me back problems over a very short riding distance. I've broken my back pretty badly before, so the comfort thing is a real issue with me. The farthest I have ever ridden on my AC at one time is between 70-80 miles, and over that distance, I didn't have any back troubles at all. It is very smooth, and very comfortable to ride. Something like this, your girlfriend may like the kodiak better, while you prefer the AC's fit.

Anyhow, try to ride each one and compare the features against each other. Think of everything you could ever plan to do with it, and base your requirements on that. If it comes down to two machines that you just absolutely can't decided between, then look at the dealer himself. Is he somebody you can actually work with if you ever need mechanical advice, or service to the machine? Will he take care of you and provide you with the best service possible, and as fast as possible.

Anyhow, just a few things to think about. Best of luck with your decisions.

Mike

Old 09-11-2000, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

cowboy, thanks for your advice, I am sure that it will help on our decisions soon. We are fortunate to have a delaer for all three of these quads within a 20 mile radius. I have to admit you sure get a lot of bang for your buck with the Cat! It has a lot of nice features. Oh, by the way, I enjoyed reading about how you work your Cat, and when you winched out that guy with the Toyota!

Old 09-12-2000, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Hammer:
Hey, thanks! I bought the 'Cats for hunting and some light work type stuff, but when I started actually "working" them, I didn't realize how much power they actually had, and what they can actually do. I've ended up working them quite a bit more than I originally intended to do, but hey, that's OK with me, it's a great machine. I've got a few pics posted at the link below of the toyota and suburban stuff, as well as of my property and cabin, etc. I'll be posting a few more of the lights I just installed on friday after I get some taken and developed.

Again, good luck with whatever you decide. I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I think with proper maintance, and caring for your equipment, anything will last you a good long while.

Mike

Old 09-12-2000, 12:53 AM
Range Rover

Hammer4, check out my post under Bombardier/Traxter evaluation. You can't be any greener than me. Bottom line: It's personal preference and dealer, of course $$$.

Good luck,

Fishbones

Old 09-12-2000, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Fishbones, great article. I thought that when the Traxter first came out, it was a pretty cool quad, innovative, and a couple different approachs taken on a unique design. I myself own a Bombardier product- a 96 Ski-Doo Formula SLS snowmobile. It has about 1212 miles on it. No problems with it at all. It's a quick little bugger, it was beating the formula 583's at Haydays at Lino Lakes. The 583's are fine, but this little 500 is potent! So I say that Bombardier builds some darn good products. I wouldn't mind having a Traxter, but I can't pony up that much cash! Hammer4

Old 09-13-2000, 12:52 PM
Range Rover

Hammer4, Amazing small world. My nephew was there over the weekend racing snowmobiles, Ski-Doo's !
I don't know my sleds but he is fast. Thanks for the reply.

I was kinda hoping Traxster's would come down a couple of hundred after the newness wears off. But after seeing the Honda Rubicon, it's almost like competition in the upscale may be upon us.