Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

650 V-Twin rear drive shaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 V-Twin rear drive shaft removal

I am trying to remove the rear drive shaft on my 2006 650 V-Twin. I need to replace both U-joints. I was able to un-bolt the differential and move it back. After doing this I was able to memove the front yoke from the splines. However I can not see how to remove the rear yoke from the rear differential. I have tried prying it, driving it out, and soaking the cups with thrust in order to knock out the bad U-joint. I have had no success at this point. I do not want to get to ruff and break something.

Any ideas?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 650 V-Twin rear drive shaft removal

Originally Posted by ddpode
I am trying to remove the rear drive shaft on my 2006 650 V-Twin. I need to replace both U-joints. I was able to un-bolt the differential and move it back. After doing this I was able to memove the front yoke from the splines. However I can not see how to remove the rear yoke from the rear differential. I have tried prying it, driving it out, and soaking the cups with thrust in order to knock out the bad U-joint. I have had no success at this point. I do not want to get to ruff and break something.

Any ideas?
You might be able to put some heat to it if you have one of those small propane torch that you can get at all hard ware stores , i think you can get them at walmart also this could very well get the job done ; i haven't had to remove a rear shaft on the AC's yet so i don't know the proceedjure for removing the CV's !

If this doesn't help you should try doing a search for the proceedjure on www.arctichat.com , there's sure you be someone there that can give you the info they have info and even video's showing step by step instructions on all kind of repair on these Cat's ; sorry i couldn't be of more help to you and someone else on this forum may jump in with the info before i even finish typing this reply good luck !....... williebee