Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

supertrapp muffler

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2001, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone out there have a supertrapp on their cat? I was looking into putting one on my 500 manual. Is it worth it? Will I need to rejet the carb? Is there a better way to add some more power. I'm not disappointed with it stock, I just can't leave anything alone. Any advise is appreciated.

Old 02-15-2001, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got the High Performance kit for my 99 500 manual. My 500 was running very rich, so I did not change the jet. I did adjust the needle to the 5th position. And I switched the plug to a NGK CR8E. Runs real good in this combination, but it will take a while to get it just right.

Old 02-15-2001, 01:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

What kind of performance gains did you get. I've asked this question a million times, but I always still wonder is is just a minimal gain for over $300. Is it barely noticeable, or like really noticeable?

Old 02-15-2001, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Dakotart,
The pipe should add a good noticeable power difference. Make sure you get the head pipe also. It should be a larger diameter pipe which will allow more exhaust flow. Fourstorke motors work on air/fuel flow. The better you can get the flow the better and more power you will get. When you change the pipe, I would also recommend changing the filter (Twin Air, UNI, or K&N), and then jetting it properly. this combination will give you the best performance gains.

Old 02-15-2001, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

The Arctic Cat pipe only includes a silencer/muffler part cause the stock head pipe flows enough already. If you go with a larger head pipe you will lose bottom end power. Just like how Gordon Banks lose Low end power by going to a larger Powroll Head pipe on his TRX 300. ON the other hand uyou do gain a good bit of mid-high range power with a larger head pipe.

Old 02-15-2001, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. I'll probably get the muffler, jet kit, air filter combo. I'm assuming the K&N filter will need a good pre-filter since it is only cotton gauze. I know on my trucks the k&n gets a ton of stuff on the pre-filters so I can only imagine on an atv. I'll keep you guys posted. Keep me informed too if you hear anything else!

Old 02-15-2001, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

See i thought about getting the pipe too. But then I read a post made by gregsim I believe in the polaris sight. Well anyways he stated that getting a pipe for your sp500, was a waste. The true restriction is you your air intake not the exhaust side, for the sp500. He explained it by saying if you take the air box lid off and air cleener off it should still run decent if air restriction was not a problem. But if the machine barely runs, that meens the airbox is restricting enough air to cause it to need a jetting adjustment. So after I read his post I remember mine would barely run with the air filter off. So his statement he made makes alot of sense. What do you guys think.
matty

Old 02-15-2001, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

I read the same thing girthyguy. I was wonder if anyone knows if our carbs need a certain amount of restriction to function properly. kind of like an air flow reference point for the carb to be smooth or something. I've seen some air boxes with vent tubes from the carbs to the airbox inlet to the carb. It almost reminded me of an idle speed motor on fuel injected engines in cars/trucks. I feel like just taking one for the team and buying the stuff. I'll do a test this weekend on the stock form. I'll time a sprint and a time a truck pull or something heavy then when I get the parts in and dialed in I'll rerun the test and post the results. What do you guys thing? I'm going to do it!

Old 02-15-2001, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Old 02-15-2001, 10:47 PM
Range Rover

i think the only thing you would have to worry about is running it to leen because of the extra air. I would start out running it rich, and slowly lean it out. You can always patch the holes of you air box. Have you taken your air cover off and filter out. because i just tried it agian and it did the same, but since im here in WI i dont know if it just that way because of the cold weather leaning it out.
matty

Quick Reply: supertrapp muffler