Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 250 Engine Lugging

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swampy, I am going to take your advice and tackle the carb...as soon as I get the nerve. Interesting thing however. Now, when I try to head out right after I start up, I get the lugging. If I idle her high for about 5 minutes, the problem disappears. The reverse from where I started in this thread.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To remove the carb and clean it I usually remove the side panel, seat and air box. Then you can easily disconnect the throttle cable and the choke cable from the carb to remove it and roll it over to get at the 4 screws on the float bowl. Note some fuel will flow out when you turn the carb over and make sure you shut off the fuel valve before you remove the fuel line from the carb.

Use a carb cleaning spray from an auto parts store and blast that stuff in every jet and hole one the carb. Be careful not to get sprayed in the face when doing this. I then use compressed air to blow out the jets and such and dry things out. Then put it all back together and see what happens. Make sure you get the little O-ring back in place on the float bowl when installing it.

While you have the carb out you may want to remove the fuel tank and flush and clean it out just to make sure there is not gunk in there that will mess up your cleaned carb. As well as clean the air filter.

I can email you some pictures from the service manual I have if you need them.

Cleaning the carb, and air filter and replacing the spark plug will eliminate these from the list of " could be's" and the only thing left after that would be something electrical. Which is a real pain to figure out so I am hoping for the first parts rather than the later for you.

Hope this helps

SJ

Old 07-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Arctic Cat 250 Engine Lugging

Originally Posted by jstan
Ok. Changed the oil again. Dirty but not as dirty as before. Seems to be a slight hit of gas in the oil. Spark plug is oily. So...how do I fix the carb? Its not easy to find Arctic Cat parts around here. I guess that the spark plug can be oily because of incomplete ignition?
jstan the engine on your quad has the same engine as the Suzuki LT250 if you have a Suzuki Dealer in your area and need carb part's they will work on your AC 250 , to be sure that you get the right part's for your carb you can take it with you ; in fact Honda's and all the major brand's use either a Mikuni or Keihin carb the Suzuki LT4Wd 250 and AC 250 has the Mikuni VM24SS 24mm carb !

williebee..........