Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Wife drowned her ATV, what do I need to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only problem with the fact that it's running, is that I can't give it any gas. Any gas and it dies again. It has been outside idling for roughly 30 minutes no problem, but any gas in neutral, or any range and it just dies. Any idea why that is? It's been on E for the whole time. I added a 1/2 gallon of good fuel to the mix, waiting for it all to run out and then gonna fill it with all good stuff and hopefully some magic will get it moving more than idle w/ that. Any thoughts as to why I can't give it gas? The engine is good and hot so it's plenty warmed up.

EDIT: I checked everything over, air box is clean, differentials have no signs of mud, oil is clean and not milky. ATV still starts and runs, but nothing more than idle, won't rev in any range. Any ideas? Thanks so much for your help thus far everyone.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

try to slowly,very slowly, give it some gas. as soon as it seems its going to die,back off the throttle. kinda feather it a bit. You should eventually be able to give a little more each time till it runs full throttle. make sure your idle is back to stock. and choke is off,if it has it. Is your exhaust still pushing moisture out?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer

possible that its the fuel pump?

EDIT: Let's hope so because we broke it taking it out and need to replace it anyways. I have no idea what else it could be. I opened tranny and recoil cover, all free & clear of debris, we took or rear plastic and took out fuel filter, which was okay, we ran out bad gas and refilled with good gas and seafoam, all lubes had no signs of mud. I just have no idea what it would be since it would idle but not take any throttle. Does anyone think or know that it could have been the pump or did I just break it for nothing?

Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This post has been very informative. I have learned something new today.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

Well we got it all fixed up. Wish I hadn't gone through the hassle of taking all of the footwell and rear plastic off and breaking the fuel pump when it was just the carb. Drained the carb (which was advised earlier) and it ran like new after that. At least im only $40 in the hole for a fuel pump instead of a huge shop bill though. Thanks for the help everyone.