Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

How fast is the Thundercat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertViper
My Thundercat tops out at 85 mph on a long downhill pavement run.
That is scary fast. My old 95 popo starts feeling a tad wobbly at 45 and tops out at around 50 and it doesn't feel the least bit stable when it gets there.

Past 60 or so I'd start worrying about the actual structural limitations of the tires. At 85 I could conceive of an ATV tire, especially one of slightly lower quality or one with some hidden trail damage, experiencing catastrophic failure. Losing a tire at 60 or 80 mph would make for an interesting ride for sure.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Thundercatken
I have had my Thundercat for over a year. Yes the power is amazing and I think that it handles OK. It will crawl over rocks and rough stuff and usually keeps all 4 wheels on the ground. It corners well at speed and I have never been passed by anything...

This is a great machine and I like it. It is probably to fast!!!
Have you had any issues with the Thundercat yet?
How does the DIFF LOCK perform?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

My Grizzly 700 I sold last month topped out at 64 mph. My Thundercat tops out at 85 mph on a long downhill pavement run. Both were based on what the speedometer said, which could be off considerably.

DesertViper
Have you had any issues with the Thundercat at all?

Old 09-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by YAMMY450
Have you had any issues with the Thundercat at all?
See my response to your other post. The only "issue" I have had with my Tcat is a blown CVT belt, at 104 miles on the odometer. This is perhaps the 20th belt driven ATV I have owned in the last ten years, with Polaris, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Can Am ATVs having been owned, and this is the first belt failure I have had. It is my first Arctic Cat, and I'm not too impressed with the Arctic Cat CVT so far.

The locking differential performs just fine, it is a fully locking differential that is unchanged from '09 to '10 model years. Arctic Cat did change the switch that activates the locker though, and the '10 switch is easier to use. Go ahead and lock the front differential on a '09 Arctic Cat in your dealer's show room, and you'll see why people don't like that switch. It is a stupid design that is difficult to use.

DV

Old 09-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Banned

See my response to your other post. The only "issue" I have had with my Tcat is a blown CVT belt, at 104 miles on the odometer. This is perhaps the 20th belt driven ATV I have owned in the last ten years, with Polaris, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Can Am ATVs having been owned, and this is the first belt failure I have had. It is my first Arctic Cat, and I'm not too impressed with the Arctic Cat CVT so far.

The locking differential performs just fine, it is a fully locking differential that is unchanged from '09 to '10 model years. Arctic Cat did change the switch that activates the locker though, and the '10 switch is easier to use. Go ahead and lock the front differential on a '09 Arctic Cat in your dealer's show room, and you'll see why people don't like that switch. It is a stupid design that is difficult to use.

DV
Is the only reason you are not satisfied with the CVT tranny just becasue of the faulty belt? Or are there other reasons?

And the front diff works the same, just quicker and more user friendly on the 2010?

Its not worth spending an extra $3,500 for a 2010 model then? haha

Overall would you recommend this over a Grizzly 700 EPS FI?
(leftover like the thundercat, but is an extra $800 more)

The deal I am getting on this 09 Thundercat is $10,400can (+taxes) with a 3000LB Winch, and front and rear Arctic Cat HD Bumpers

The 2010's are $13,900can (+ taxes)

Old 09-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Pro Rider

We sold a Grizzly 700 to get this thundercat, so I'm familiar with that ATV as well. The Grizzly had 2300 miles on it and had had no problems, other than the standard Grizzly 700 quirks. All Grizzly 700s have a mid-range miss, and they all have a tendancy to stall intermittently at just off idle throttle application.

The Grizzly has better handling, steers easier, and feels quite a bit lighter than the Tcat. The Grizzly's suspension is better at slow speed over small harsh bumps, but the Tcat suspension can take the big hits much better than the Yamaha can.

The Yamaha CVT works better, and has a smoother engagement than the Arctic Cat CVT. The Arctic Cat CVT can be a bit lurchy and jerky at very low throttle application just as you are getting going, when in high range.

The engine on the Arctic Cat is far better than the single cylinder wheezer that Yamaha puts in the Grizzly. Every time I ride the Tcat I am impressed with how strong the motor is, how well it runs, how good it sounds, everything about it.

The single lever brakes on the Tcat suck. Yamaha has a much better braking system.

There is no way a Grizzly 700 is worth more than a Tcat. If it was $800 less I would say get the Grizzly, but not for $800 more.

You're getting a better deal on your 2009 Tcat than I got on my 2009 Tcat, by the way.

DV

Old 09-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default how fast

I have not been active on the site for quite a while but it feels nice to be back,neway i have an 09 T-CAT with a speedwerx pipe and clutch kit wit 27" mud lites and i am consistantly running 80mph.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

got my 09 thundercat today!
after break in gonna slap some 28x10x12 on er and a HMF exhaust
then the front and rear heavy duty bumpers and of course, A WARN WINCH!
mostly for towing out my friends, but if I do get this beast stuck, I dont wanna be without it either!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Had mine up to 130km/hr today and will probably do 140km/hr but I am still breaking it in...There is plenty of speed there so I am comfortable with putting 28x10x12 tires on all 4 corners and a clutch kit, as well as a HMF exhaust and a K&N air filter...Should still get 120km/hr out of it which is more than enough speed...Life over 100km/hr gets sketchy on a utility ATV...But its good to know ya have it when you need it

I will be picking up a winch as well as front and rear HD bumpers (not much protection without them)

I was also told that if you add 3-6 ounces of ROYAL PURPLE's PURPLE ICE it will make the machine run cooler which will give you a bit more power under hotter conditions

I run that stuff in my Mustang GT and it dropped the peak engine temp by about 10*C so its worth a try on the TCAT

I will be running 10W40 Royal Purple MAX CYCLE motor oil and a K&N oil filter as well...The dealer said it would be fine and Royal Purple of course agrees

I will also be using Royal Purple's Gear Oil (75W90) in the front and rear ends as well when I change them at 500km (also the same time as my first oil change 500km)

Old 10-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

I run amsoil in my engine and use 110 VP leaded mixed 50-50 with 91 octane and get phenomenal performance,a little expensive but hey you wanna play you gotta pay.

Quick Reply: How fast is the Thundercat?