Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Defective 09 400 H1 TRV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective 09 400 H1 TRV?

I have an 09 Arctic cat 400 H1 TRV. Ever since i got the atv (brand new) I've notices a clicking sound, but only at low speeds (seemed to dissapear after i got a little speed up). When the atv had about 500 km's on it i finally decided to bring it back to the dealer to see if this was normal. I may have waited too long but i wasn't sure if it was normal or not being a first time atv owner. I suggested to the dealer it might be a CV joint that i thought might cause the sound. The dealer gave it a good going over in the shop and said there was an array of problems with the atv and said he have to replace a shaft, belt, various clips. etc. When i got it back it was fine for a while but while riding one day the atv started to die out, the rear wheeles locked up and i skidded to a stop. i restarted the atv and tried her again to see if there was any major damage. it happened again while i was going about 15 km/h. I tried it once more and it happened again while i was just crawling along. i finally had to phone my father to pick it up in his truck. When i brought it back this time they said this had happened because of the new belt, something about it sticking or something. i have my atv back now and the clicking noise still persists. Is this dangerous. What should i do? Wearable parts warranty just ran out. Motor/Powertrain Warranty is good for 2 years. Cannot get any trade in value or money back for the atv.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jeremy.... How did things go with your quad after? I'm also in Newfoundland. Bought my 2009 TRV 400 new in August 2010. Last fall with 380km on it the drive clutch was replaced (under warranty). I used it for another 20km and then put it away for the winter. When I took it out this April and went to the dealer for my break-in service, was told that this clutch was gone again as well as some other parts in the transmission assembly (as well as an oil leak from a plug on the cylinder head). Only had 6 months warranty. Arctic Cat says they will cover the drive clutch (again), but not the other problems so I'm still facing a $1000 repair bill. Unreal for a new quad used 3 months (only on trails) and then stored for 5 months.

Strange thing is that I've found a few other posts on websites, all from Newfoundland, saying the same thing. I'm beginning to wonder if we ended up with a batch of lemons off the assembly line!

Rob, Corner Brook

Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know what you mean man, I think you may be right about Newfoundland getting a batch of lemons. Overall I had my atv back in the shop like 5 or 6 times luckily I had an extended warranty so most everything was covered but other than fix the immediate problem they did nothing for me and I inquired about a trade in and they told me ( this was months ago) that the trade in value was like 4300. And that's a bike with very low kms in excellent condition. I don't know what to tell you. My warranty is up now and I haven't had any major problems in a while but the quad still doesn't sound right and stalls if it isn't idled perfectly and it's difficult to start sometimes if you're not used to the quad. I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't have any more trouble.