Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

04 500 auto - won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 500 auto - won't start

I have a '04 500 auto 4x4 (with about 400 miles and 80 or so hours) that will not start...I replaced the plug a few months ago and it is clean...I can get to it run with a squirt of starter fluid directly into the carb, but it runs for about 10-15 seconds and then stalls (I've done this about 3 times)...I don't want to continue to use starter fluid, and have something go wrong in the cylinder from that...it does sit for periods of time....any suggestions? THANKS!!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

sounds like your not getting fuel to the cylinder. since it sits for a while you may have to clean your carb./jet. dont forget to use stabilizer when it sits or you'll have more problems if not already. heres what i would do, 1st drain the gas(old probably). 2nd make sure the fuel lines are clean/clear of debre,3rd clean the carb. inside and out once its all clean and has fresh gas add some sea foam(helps clean while running and sitting as well as a stabilizer). then dont forget the other 2 main ingrediants to make an engine run, check the air filter. make sure its clean. when they sit sometimes a mouse will make it thier home. you said the spark plug is new so im sure your good there. Plus, it fires up when you used the starter fluid. im sure someone else will be on to give more tips and help out. good luck

Old 02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips...now the bigger question...is cleaning draining the tanks and cleaning the carbs are fairly simple DIY project...I do have a shop manual for it, but not sure if I want to tackle this project...Thanks again

Old 02-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

If you have access to some screwdrivers, and a metric socket set you have the tools. All you need is the space to work. The service manual is a great place to start but it lacks a few "tricks" to get teh job done a little faster.

As was already stated I think your Carb is gummed up and you are not getting fuel.

To get to the carb you have to remove the seat, side panels and air box with filter. Fuel tank as well if it is the one mounted between your legs over the motor.

To get the carb off shut off the fuel valve, and disconnect the fuel line from the carb.

Then unscrew the clamp to the intake and gently pull the carb free. If you have enough slack in the choke and throttle cable you can roll the carb over to get at the 4 screws holding the float bowl in place. (fuel may run out of carb)

If you do not have enough slack disconnect the choke and throttle cables from the carb.

Remove the 4 screws holding the float bowl in place and remove the bowl account for the small rubber seal onthe bowl.

Clean the bowl of any gunk and blow compressed air or carb cleaner through any hole you can find.

Re-assemble in revererse order.

If you don't want to remove the fuel tank then the carb comes out the right side (if you are sitting on the machine) easier than the left over the exhaust.

On a sacle of 1 to 10 with 10 being the hardest I would give this a rating of 2 for difficulty. Very similar to an oil change where you remove and clean the intake screen as describbed inthe service manual.

Hope this helps.

Swampy

Old 02-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kennedy4597
I have a '04 500 auto 4x4 (with about 400 miles and 80 or so hours) that will not start...I replaced the plug a few months ago and it is clean...I can get to it run with a squirt of starter fluid directly into the carb, but it runs for about 10-15 seconds and then stalls (I've done this about 3 times)...I don't want to continue to use starter fluid, and have something go wrong in the cylinder from that...it does sit for periods of time....any suggestions? THANKS!!
All that the other guys said I agree with - but I would try this first - get some carb-injector cleaner and put some in the gas tank and also take the seat off and remove the airbox cover and spray the carb. Start the machine and spray some in the carb while it runs. This may eliminate taking the carb off and cleaning it - which is the best solution but maybe it is not gummed too bad that some carb cleaner could take care of. All else fails then yes take the carb off and clean it as well as your tank and the fuel valve and fuel lines.