Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 400 won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC 400 won't shift

Well the time has finally come that i have a problem with the AC. The shifter is not shifting gears. I can sit there and keep pounding the shifter and it will finally go into gear and drive fine in that gear but shifting again means stopping and pounding on it some more. It runs fine when it is actually in gear but something is obviously wrong. I've never been into this ATV engine/tranny so what is the most likely suspect(s)???

Old 04-28-2010, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post AC 400 won't shift

Originally Posted by sassee
Well the time has finally come that i have a problem with the AC. The shifter is not shifting gears. I can sit there and keep pounding the shifter and it will finally go into gear and drive fine in that gear but shifting again means stopping and pounding on it some more. It runs fine when it is actually in gear but something is obviously wrong. I've never been into this ATV engine/tranny so what is the most likely suspect(s)???
Sound's like either clutch adjustment or a bent shift fork could be your problem , when you do get it in gear does it feel like it want's jump/lutch forward when it goes into gear ?
If this happen's it's most likely the clutch need's adjusting ; or the idle speed need's adjusting !
I hope this is of some help.

williebee......

Old 04-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

No, when i get it in gear it runs as it should. I did adjust the clutch when it first happened so i'm guessing bent/broken forks. This atv has always been a little harder to shift than others I've had. Bent fork would possibly explain difficulty shifting for years, just didn't put 2 and 2 together. The fork may have broken now. I'm pulling the cover tomorrow to take a look.

Thanks for the info

Old 05-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Range Rover

OK, I didn't expect this! I had a crankcase full of gasoline. I guess from sitting up for almost a year the needle and seat and /or float had gotten stuck and flooded the carb and drained into crankcase.

Anyway, got the cover off. I wish someone had told me the left side cover is not where I needed to be! Put it back on and pulled the right side. I did not find anything laying in the bottom so whatever it is is just damaged/bent but not broken. I'm assuming the shifter forks are behind the clutch basket. How do I take all of that off. I'm a noob when working on atv's. (just never had to go into engine covers before. Did rebuild tranny on Polaris though)

Hope someone replies soon. I really need to get the AC running again as It gets used for our local Relay for Life event in 2 weeks.