Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New (left over) 08 Arctic Cat axels squeak

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (left over) 08 Arctic Cat axels squeak

I have put 136 miles on the ATV so far. There is an annoying sqeaking coming from the front and rear axles. It sounds to me like something has to be greased. I really don't want to cart it to the dealer being that it is 45 min away. Any idea what it might be coming from and how I can get rid of the squeaking? (besides not riding it)

On a side question... Does anyone else who has EFI need to let there ATV warm up a couple minutes before they ride it or it will stall? I thought one of the benefits of EFI was starting and go. (like a car)

Thanks for reading, Scott

Old 09-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Not sure about the axles, but the motor does need to warm up even if it is FI.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

if i was you i would jack up the back end and put jack stands under it and just let the wheels turn slowly and you should should be able to figure out where it is coming from. then if you have the jackstands you can lift the front up and put it in diff lock and do the same thing with the whole atv elevated. i just bought a new 08 700 efi and it was doing the same thing it would stall. it seems to be getting better as i am getting more miles on it. and remember you should never just start something and go, you can score a piston really easily this way.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I jacked up the front and rear so I could spin the tires but I couldn't get it to make the noice, it appears to only do it when it has weight on it. I don't really 'start and go' but I thought it was odd that it took a good 2 to 3 minutes to warm up. It is my first EFI ATV so I thought I would ask. Mine is also the '08' 700. Thanks again. I am probably going to end up taking it back to the dealer as it is still under warranty. I can't imagine the noise is a good thing (besides driving me nuts) it is something spinning that should be noise free.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Polaris 850 needs to warm up to full operating temp, too. The reason being the computer is monitoring atmospheric conditions to get the fuel mixture right. Riders kept fouling plugs, starting and stopping the machine, just like you.
If the engine is shut off before full operating temp is reached, the computer thinks the quad is 'cold', setting the mixture for a cold start; which fouls the plugs.
So, let yours fully warm up, either riding or idling, before you shut it off the first time.

And carry some extra spark plugs!.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't foulded anything on the machine yet.. Just allot of foul laungage from listening to the squeak. Thanks for the heads up on carrying extra plugs.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Cool

BRAKES!!

AC machines have VERY sqeaky brake pads. It's "the nature of he beast" I'm affraid, and probably explains your squeaking from both ends.

Warm your machine up and take-r up to 30mph and jam on the brakes a few times. THis will "burnish" them..if you haven't already.....and reduce the squeaking. It probably won't eliminate it. Only new non OEM pads seems to fix that, as I found on my TRV.

My .02¢

Good luck

Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

the brakes as stated was the first thing to come to mind for me as well. ive had 3 cats and all 3 had brakes squeak,especially if you ride in dry,dusty conditions. Sometimes when mine get real bad ill ride at about 20 mph and hold the brake lever with a little pressure to "burn" the dust off. Sometimes it works sometimes it dont. if its squeaking and you ride through a creek and it stops then you'll know that it may very well be your brakes. Also,yes they will die if you dont let it warm up first.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone. I think it is the brakes so I will try the technique described to 'burnish' them. I imagine they probably got a little rusty while sitting around for so long. Thanks again.