Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Keeganbar Towing System

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good to me! This towing sysytem is not designed or intended for highway use. If your traveling more than 20 to 25 miles, this is not the product for you unless its being towed in off-road conditions. If were going on a long trip, we cram them onto someone's trailer, but most of our riding is local. Also comes in handy when an ATV breaks down or my wife gets tired and wants to sit behind me for awhile.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what happened? Did you get a tow bar or go with a trailer?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by swampyjunior
Well, I know a few people who travel around in large motorhomes and tow cars of various sizes behind. Just about every one of them I know has had issues with the towed car's transmission or drive train. The only one I know that doesn't have issues unbolts his drive shaft every time. He has only had tire wear issues.

To me it follows logically that ATV's do not have a tranny as complicated as a car but I would think the same issues that effect a cars tranny while being towed could happen to the ATV. The ATV tranny usually operates on a centrifical clutch while the Car's are usually hydrolic. SO anything tha wold cause the tranny to turn or spin could effect the ATV more thanthe car. I still come back to the fact that if you have any trouble with the tranny on the ATV you could easily spend as much fixing it as you would for a trailer to haul them on.

I live less than 20 miles from where I do most of my riding and I would not use nor trust it. Any riding on packed gravel or paved roads will cause the tires to wear at a faster rate. Most ATV manuals say they are not designed to be used on roads. They do not specify what type of roads.

If you do decide to try it then I would change my oil frequently and check it for lots of metal shavings as that would be a sign of trouble.

Swampy
I've flat towed vehicles before and the key is that you need a true neutral. This means that the vehicle totally disengages the tires from the tranny. I had this in a flat towed 02 explorer and it works fine. What happens is that people tow in regular neutral and all of the transmission components spin, but they are not getting lubed from the engine being on. That said The atv tires are going to suffer, but I'd be worried more about the bearings and axles getting alot more miles on them then they really need, and fast miles too. Trailer is really cheaper for sure.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for share these I am not worried about tyre wear, where I am there is not much tarmac, mainly dirt/gravel tracks.