Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey Kane, I have been following your posts and I am wondering why you are changing all of the gear oils and the anti-freeze? How many hours are on the machine? If I had to prioritize, I would do the gear oil in the front and rear differentials but I would not personally touch the anti-freeze unless there was good reason. As far as the gear oil changes are concerned, I would recommend going on-line and use You Tube as a great starting point including the help you may need in changing the engine oil.

Just my two cents, John

Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

It may seem like it all cost a lot, but keeping the maintenance up pays for itself in the long run.

Your next investment should be a service manual. You will become great friends with it.

Hope you're out on the trails soon.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

75w-90 Synthetic Gear Oil Thats what I use as well, good stuff.
1 L would of been enough but you get a better deal by the jug.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by supergolfer
Hey Kane, I have been following your posts and I am wondering why you are changing all of the gear oils and the anti-freeze? How many hours are on the machine? If I had to prioritize, I would do the gear oil in the front and rear differentials but I would not personally touch the anti-freeze unless there was good reason. As far as the gear oil changes are concerned, I would recommend going on-line and use You Tube as a great starting point including the help you may need in changing the engine oil.

Just my two cents, John
Since the machine is 2007 in age and I might have only ran in 500km. I been told and looked at certain things breaking now in the anti-freeze. I assume it could start to rust out certain parts inside of it I'm not 100% sure but when I did some research it looks like a certain something or other breaks down in the chemical makeup.

Besides that with the real/front diff they also have never been changed and maybe their fine but they been through 5-6 winters now without a change. I assume something might be happening at this point to it.

Engine oil say do it every year or certain miles. I assume spring each year is important period just cuz it sits so long once again through a winter.

Maybe I'm being a tad overdoing it I do remember as a kid no one ever changing machine oil and etc till the machine did not work right hah.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Trailblazer

I just want to put out a big thanks for everyone who has helped me out. My ATV is running pretty damn good and will add videos soon but I wanted to post some picture and of course some information on them

This was a fun adventures night. My good friend Chris was helping me and we had a blast doing it while freezing to death. I really wish we can get him a ATV, been trying to find a good 400cc for under $1,500 but I don't think they really exist.

Anyways onto the fun. Tonight I did front,read diffs, engine oil both air filters and the oil filter. I also want to add for all the oils I had put a good 2 cups worth of oil into it just to help flush it out not sure f that is a good idea?

This is my Tire... I have NO CLUE at all what to do with it. I'm really worried as the rest of the tires are a lot lower and I can push my foot into them this one actually was indented and clearly flat..... I don't own a air pump of any kind yet I gotta shop for one but do you think this is a goner or a slow leak? been sitting for 2+ years 2 winters so I'm hoping it might be just a slow leak. Not sure how to fix it..

I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-mwfjk4h.png

Real Diff... Tip of the day you DO NOT need to raise your atv at all and it's only going to make your life harder.
I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-olwxfru.jpg

So this is the diff oil that had came out.. Does it not turn black overtime because this stuff like great.....
I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-in4vpzy.png

Filling my diffs.... What a pain in the ***!
I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-hbakdcc.jpg

Don't try this at home... I did not know about the tool till I googled it but I found a bad creative way. I warn people not to do this as you might damage the threading and my that would be a shame... I could not get it off so I improvised with a screwdriver lol.
I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-imignpt.png

Warning if you are going to do this then do it at the center out and not close to the threading or ouch... Also for me the first time I went through and through or else It would not go far.. SO WATCH out not to grab the broken out metal on the other side.
I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-2f23akz.png

Boy that is some BLACK Oil and yes I already pulled the drain plug is this common to still have this kind of mess? Also the small white particles are just dust from the paper towel. I tried cleaning it up a bit more after this pic.
I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-66j824u.png

My god this air filter was a pain in the *** to put in. I ended up putting them both in at the same time haha...
I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-7ekgwz2.png

Thanks reading and looking and thanks so much for all your help guys!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

Day 2 of getting my baby fixed up.

Got a new tire pump and found out my accessories fuse had blown:
I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-kqcaamx.png

I always wondered why this was loose but I see now the top 2 squares were clips that must had broken. I don't think it's worth paying a bunch money for just a new part.
I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-ls1ngn5.jpg

This upset me. I had rolled my ATV a few years ago and it looks like it did end up cracking near my gear shifting. Not sure if there is anything to do with it but overall shifting seems fine:
I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-mjhhzub.jpg

Here is the 2 big question pictures:

I have a G1100 Charger and it's highly recommended and rated really high for AGM Battery Charger. The question is I checked the AC manual and says unplug the battery before charging. The G1100 Instructions confused me a bit and this picture below seems to have a more permanent batter connector that you can leave on and plug it in anytime. So I guess the question is as long as nothing is on the ATV and etc can I charge it up or do I have to unscrew everything every time?:

I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-0mqii3k.jpg

I'm getting mixed answers on Google. Is Transmission Fluid the same or different then gear oil? Or at least on the Diesels? This is what I'm using for my gears:
I Need a Father, You Guys Are It! Fixing up my ATV for the Spring.-sws5njs.png

Thanks everyone you been a big help. Today I also finished putting in all the plastic push pins that I have lost over the years. Mainly after the 1 accident. Was nice getting that stuff fixed up. The last 2 main things are really the transmission fluid and the coolant fluid.