Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Kymco?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my grandson into a youth 150 2 years ago this Christmas. Had him and it down twice to the H/M trails, specifically rock house trail head, and it performed great. Managed all the easy trails and a few of the intermediate trails. At one stop he forgot to set his parking brake and we looked up just in time to watch it plummet about 125 to 150 feet down a rather steep hillside doing several endo s on the way down. After recovery a quick inspection found that the front rack was slightly bent and both headlights had popped out. No fluids were leaking so we kicked it over and drove it back to the cabin. Replaced the headlights and the rack when we got home and he is still driving it today. Earlier this spring we took the rev limiters out and we're getting him used to it. Would like to mention however that we do all regularly scheduled maintenance on the bike and it starts and runs like it did when we took it out of the showroom.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

TLC, Kymco is not a clone. It is an original manufacture. It is not the same as Hisun, QLink, and CFMoto. Not saying they are bad because I have never owned one. How many Kymco atvs are you actually familiar with? IF they were the same how could the Kymco 90 that is on it's fourth child and 8 years old be so reliable? I have a 07 Chinese 110 for my granddaughter. There is no comparison between the two.

Paptini, glad your son has enjoyed his 150. Hope he enjoys it for many more years. I am thinking of taking the CVT restrictor out on my grandson's 90.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

it's relatively easy, a quick search on you tube will yield multiple videos on the how to if you're unfamiliar with it. I do recommend to purchase the new gasket ahead of time as it does rip extremely easy. Took my son in law and myself about a half hour total and we were back on line. A warning however, is that the top end power level of the 150cc which was governed to 17mph with the rev limiters in has now more than doubled. Adults on the bike have now hit up to 38mph on the tractor path in the field. We still keep him in between the two of us and my son in law watches his speed closely so that he doesn't get in over his head. He's used to about 25mph on the flats now. Be safe and if you have half as much fun as we do, you more than got your money's worth.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks. I have not messed with a cvt ever but intend to with in the next week or so. On his 90 there is a screw on the throttle were I can back it back down if needed. The screw is out right now and it runs close to 19 mph when checked with another atv. He is 8 and actually drives pretty responsible. Now my 6 yo granddaughter, she is a hellun!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

When I saw an area Yamaha dealer take on Kymco years ago I found out a little more about them and was impressed mainly at the parts availability,service and support. Unlike the Chinese non branded machines sold at swap meets,at some hardware/auto stores and saw some even sold on the side of the road on flat bed trailers down here. That says buyer beware to me.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

I was telling my shift maintenance man, who is big into atv's, about my Kymco MXU. He started telling me a horror story about another maintenance man I know and his side by side that was purchased for his 70 something father. Second cvt fried under warrenty and they were refusing to repair last year. Was a pretty good horror story until he mentioned the dealers name. I corrected him and told him they don't sell Kymco at that place. He seemed confused, kind of like TLC. I asked him could it have been a Hisun, Qlink or CFMoto, being that is what they do sell. Sure enough it was one of those three and he corrected himself stating he had actually never heard of Kymco. In addition to a crap load of Arctic Cats they also make at least a couple Kawasaki atvs. Now if Kymco was known to be crap what would the buyers of these Arctic Cats and Kawasaki's have to say to the dealers and manufactures when they found out that Kymco actually made their units also. Think they would be a little pissed! I actually bought Kawasaki fuel filter and fuel lines for our little 90 way cheaper than the same Kymco parts. My understanding is that is the cheapest way to buy and that came from another Kymco owner. The parts are no different. Actually cheaper from Artic Cat or Kawasaki.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kymco seems to have a pretty good reputation. The only thing I have noticed is that the price of their machines isn't really noticably less than anyone else. I'd be hesitant to buy a Kymco side by side myself. For close to the same price you can buy a Yamaha Viking and I'd just feel more comfortable buying a new Yamaha over a new Kymco. If you get a great deal on the Kymco, then that might be a different story. And you have confidence the dealer you're buying from will stand behind the machine, that may be the most important thing. I've seen a couple CF Moto dealers ads relatively close to me. I think the biggest problem with a lot of these off-brands is that they have poor dealer support or none at all. CF Moto is priced quite a bit less than comparable vehicles by well known manufacturers such as Yamaha and Polaris. I'd still be a bit leery of buying one though. They probably make good quality machines but they just haven't been making them long enough to have developed any reputation for quality. A few bad reviews can make a potential customer shy away from them. Jugernauts like Yamaha and Polaris can obsorb a few bad reviews because overall, people believe in the products. These online chinese quads and side by sides are almost all junk. They just ship them from some warehouse and that's it. If something goes wrong, good luck getting any help from them. Customer support is pretty much zero. The only good thing about the cheap chinese machines is that that parts are also cheap. They require a lot more maintenance than the higher quality well known brands. Things that very seldom or ever wear out on a Yamaha or Honda routinely have to be replaced on these cheap quads. I would rather ride my machine instead of constantly wrenching on it and replacing cheap parts.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
These online chinese quads and side by sides are almost all junk. They just ship them from some warehouse and that's it. If something goes wrong, good luck getting any help from them. Customer support is pretty much zero.

Depends. 5 years ago we ordered a 110 Chinese quad for my grandson. It came with a key fob that would instantly kill the engine, which did work by the way, and the ability to govern the thing down to 5mph. This was a factor in our decision as 5mph is what battery operated vehicles such as Power Wheels do in high gear anyway.
When the bike got here there was an issue with the carb float yada yada yada after an email they overnighted a brand new one and after a short wrench session all was right. Did we wrench, yes but we also only paid $399 for the quad.
He trained on that quad for just about 2 1/2 years under some very watchful eyes. First in the yard then on trails in the woods. Actually rode it until he physically outgrew the frame of the machine. Knees were hitting the handlebars as he made turns. It did wonders to build his skill and confidence levels to where he could handle the 150 without a problem, but again this move came under watchful eyes.
Nana and I made sure he has ALL the safety gear and wears it and when he outgrows it, it gets repurchased.
My point being that there is a place for these quads albeit they might not be for everyone they definitely worked for what we needed them for.
Oh, and at the end of all of it we sold the Chinese quad for $200.00, money which went right into the grandsons bank account.
they overnighted the entire carb, not just the guts.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Kymco gave us a 250cc Mongoose to run in one of the "12 hours of ATV America".
Told us to break it.
1/2 mile in we blew thru the chain. Replaced it with a good chain, no problem (in fact it's still on it).
3 hours into the 2nd 6 hours session at night, I hit this hole that got bigger every lap. It was like hitting a cement wall. I broke a ball joint.
It has survived not 1 but 2 12 hour races, a hecka lot of woods/trail riding, A cpl ATV MX nationals (I broke the axel at Red Bud jumping the finish line jump and replaced it with a stock 450R axel at the track!), and a few AWORCS XC races. I finally took out a foreward gear at a AWORCS. I stuck it in reverse and drove back to the pit area.
All that's impressive in my book.
I have 2 neighbors that own Arctic cats (kymco's). Both virtually plow snow commercially with them. --> 0 <-- problems with either one.

I heard the story..Honda left Kymco cuz they (honda) were set on using a stupid sorta auto shift machine instead of the more versitile and safer CVT. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 07-27-2015, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Kymco seems to have a pretty good reputation. The only thing I have noticed is that the price of their machines isn't really noticably less than anyone else.
What you get is a slightly lower price, but MORE features vs. most of the
better-known brands.

Here is the 5th Kymco ATV I have owned (incl. 2 AC DVXs), and it has an
LCD instrument panel, full floorboards, and CVT auto. All in a 2WD 250
utility ATV. It costs only slightly less than equivalent units from the other
majors (Honda, Kaw, Suzuki, Yam, BRP, AC, Polaris), but you might also
be able to dicker more.

Tossing the Taiwanese Kymcos in the same basket as Chinese mainland
ATVs is a mistake. Just like the majors, I can see parts diagrams and buy
Kymco parts online. Can't do that with the Chicom units, so parts-buying
is problematic.

BTW, I own THREE Chinese dune buggies with 250cc CFMoto engines. Parts