Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2015 blowing belts

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

when the first one blew did you get everything cleaned out? Including intake and outlet as well as make sure none of the belt got in the clutches?

Old 08-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrock
when the first one blew did you get everything cleaned out? Including intake and outlet as well as make sure none of the belt got in the clutches?
Good point. My son rode his, at the time, Polaris ATP 500 HO in high gear when we were doing a lot of slow, rocky, and muddy, trails. He burned up the belt. It spit cog teeth and fibers up into the air intake to the point we took it off to make sure we got everything.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did blow it out the 2nd time air seems to be flowing but got home after a short trip and the clutch cover itself is 200 degrees so it has to be clogged some where

Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bandemer
I did blow it out the 2nd time air seems to be flowing but got home after a short trip and the clutch cover itself is 200 degrees so it has to be clogged some where

I would assume yours has a cooling fan attached to one of the clutches as the others do, check to be sure the fins have not been broken off when the belts came apart. That sounds really hot for just a cover.....

Old 08-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

Nothing's broke just took it apart again everything seems lined up 4 miles on he belt and its already worn - can see it was burning gen belt already with literally 4 miles - can't see broken fins. Blew everything out again feel air blowing oubthe back of the wxhaust on the cover - nothing seems bent or out of place

Old 08-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

OK so now....is there proper play in the belt when machine is idling? To much tension on belt when idling will cause excess wear....next is there any springs broken on the clutch assembly, broken or damaged springs will cause the clutches not to expand and contract at the same time causing excess wear on the belt. Do you have a tach to see what idle speed is and at what rpm is the belt starting to engage? I am going to bet the belt is to tight to start or there are some broken springs in one or both clutches from what you are relaying to us.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I would ride it with the cover off and see what looks off. There has to be something messed up. When the belts blow the cords in the tire can get in the pulleys and screw things up. Something else to look for.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I would ride it with the cover off and see what looks off. There has to be something messed up. When the belts blow the cords in the tire can get in the pulleys and screw things up. Something else to look for.

BE REALLY CAREFUL doing that .... the CVT cover has a bearing to support the primary shaft when there is load placed on it by the belt. The extent of placing a load on the CVT without the cover on I would do is strictly confined to revving it up in the garage on stands to ensure the clutches are functioning as they should. Otherwise you risk the primary shaft warping.

With the cover on.. place your hand over the opening of the cvt intake while revving the engine. You WILL FEEL a suction... if you don't then there is a blockage of air flow. You can also force air into the intake using a blower of sometype, and feel the CVT exhaust. This wont tell you if the fins on the primary are functioning when it's spinning, but it will tell you if there is some sort of blockage.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

take some pic's

Old 08-15-2017, 07:36 AM
Trailblazer

Which Arctic Cat model do you have? Did the dealer install the second belt?