Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Auto Cat clutch service question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 11:15 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm replacing the belt on my Auto Cat. My local service guy is not available this weekend. Do I need to lightly grease the weights and rollers in the clutch or just clean them.

Old 04-28-2001, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

I wish I could give you the answer that the service dept of the cat dealer would, but I would lightly oil them in stead of grease. Use a little 30wt oil on a cloth just to wipe them down.

I have a question or two for you. How many miles do you have on your belt and does it show any wear? I have almost 2300 on mine and I'm curious. Second how does the inside of your case look. I took mine off the other day and had to clean the thing it was coated in caked on crud. I put some high pressure grease on my shaft pilots and behind the bearings just for good measure. Don't know if it will help, but I don't think it will hurt.

Old 04-28-2001, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

On the sleds we clean everything with carb cleaner and wipe down use NO oil because the oil gives the dirt and belt dust something to stick to..I would think the same goes for the bikes ... Bill

Old 04-29-2001, 10:24 AM
Range Rover

Thanks guys

Old 04-30-2001, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

also oil in roller & flyweight bushings starts to break down the fibre bushings, at least in snow machines this is true, never had auto Cat apart.

Old 05-07-2001, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

How many miles did you get out of your original belt? Also what was the cost on a replacement? Were you able to find an aftermarket supplier or did you have to go with the OEM belt? If you could answer these questions I would be appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-09-2001, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

Minehunter,
Sorry for the delay. I've been off the internet for a week or so. I kinda misspoke about needing to replace the belt (1300 miles). I packed my clutch with mud on a ride a couple of weeks ago (for the 12th time, I even got the dang thing snorkled) anyways, the main "exhaust" for the belt housing was blowing out some serious belt dust. The belt was only running half ways up the clutch cause of the mud. Since i siliconed the small inspection cover on (pain to take off)and have to take the snorkle off I figured as long as it was all apart to service the clutch I'd throw a new belt on. Heck Polaris belts at the dealer are only $40 here. Imagine my shock when the dealer said $150.....dang.... My dealer is as cheap as they come for replacment parts, they charge less than retail for Cat parts, I get my AC brake pads for $12.95 a pair, a differnet dealer here wants $32 for the same thing. I checked this other dealer for a price on the belt $275 !!!!!!!!!!!! I decided to put my old belt back on !

Old 05-10-2001, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

I just got mine back together after the same thing. I filled mine over the weekend and lost about 15mph on top end, still had the rpm but just wouldn't go. All I did was take the cover off , clean the clutch with brake cleaner and took 220 grit sand paper and roughed up the belt. I also poped the seal off the outer front bearing cleaned and put a small amount of grease in it and put the seal back in. It is quiet and I have my top end back. It took about 2 hours to do it all. It is a pain to have to do it, I guess I need to put A snorkle on it . Did you do both outlets or just the front one. I have heard of people just putting a freeze plug in the one under the seat, but I don't have the guts to try it yet. Anyone else heard of this?

Old 05-10-2001, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

I snorkled the vent from under the seat out the back, along the exhaust pipe up to the top of my rear rack ext. The main vent on the top of the housing is vented straight up under the shifter to the front rack. On my last ride I got water in the belt intake, the hose that runs from the bottom of the housing up under the front plastic. Gonna have to run something up higher I guees. Then I will need to snorkle the air intake as well. Either that or stay outta the water.....Nah !