Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Good News on the Roadless Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today, about 1:00pm Federal Judge Edward Lodge agreed with the State of Idaho and Boise Cascade that the Clinton roadless initiative was NOT done inaccordance with the law and has enjoined the implementation of the act. Therefore the Roadless act WILL NOT go into effect this coming Saturday.

The Wilderness Society has said it will appeal the judges ruling. Unfortunatly, the appeal is to the ninth circuit court of appeals in San Francisco. The most liberal court in the land, but they are also the most overturned court by the supreme court and Idaho and Boise Cascade have said they will go all the way.

Old 05-11-2001, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

I hope they stick to it because they are right. I just hope we can get jusges to side with the shared access movements and not with the enviromentalists.

Old 05-11-2001, 01:02 PM
Range Rover

Well, that is “some” good news. I hope judges in other areas have the same view.
I think this issue should be more up to the individual States and with the majority of what the people want and what the local needs are.
I like many others must ride on public lands and drive very far to do so. I do not have the luxury of private lands to ride on. Besides, I would get tired of the same riding area all the time. Some of you are very close to this issue of the “Roadless Rule” and you will be affected. I envy those of you who live in an area that has almost endless riding opportunities. I just hope our politicians find some common ground that we ALL can live with and not lock up OUR public lands as proposed.
My wife and I look forward in traveling, exploring, and riding on these (our) public lands. We hope someday, our grandchildren also will be able to enjoy this same hobby.
Even though I do not live in a state that is directly affected, I still write our state politicians about my concern over this issue.
I hope all OHV users rally together and support some of the national and state organizations that look out for our intrest.