Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

02 Grizzly- Full test results

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YukonRon,
I live in Soldotna Alaska, but we hunt in the Tok Alaska area, with the same type of terrain you where mentioning. We have about a mile of swamp to go through so I am very interested in the water deal. The mechanic where I bought my machine said if there is a problem he will make sure one way or the other it will get fixed. Again the new grizz is really a nice machine, overall seems to be built really well and most of all plenty of grunt.
Larry

Old 07-24-2001, 12:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I haven't really had it in any water that ammounted to much. Had it over the floorboards a couple times, but I haven't gone fast into water or anything. Haven't noticed anything, but thats not to say it won't happen. I'm leary of that water with the belt transmission anyway.

Old 07-25-2001, 07:41 AM
Range Rover

Just curious,have not tried either yet but my father tried the 650 in a dealers front yard.He floored it not pulling on the bars and the front end came up and stayed up till he let off, this was on asphalt.He has a Magnum 500 and said that the difference was really suprising,the 650 wanted to rip the bars from your hand's.Does the Grizz lift them up to or is the front end heavier?Also i've heard,not seen that the Quest could really boogie at top speed,the 650 got him of the start but the Quest caught up after a while.Could be,i know that the Traxter will go over 60 so with 150 cc more it could be close to 70 mph.

Old 07-28-2001, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

A Traxter go over 60 mph?? In the back of your truck right??

I've never heard anyone claim somehting like that for a Traxter. Even owners claim low-mid 50 mph top speeds, and ATVCOnnection.com claimed a top speed of around 54 mph on the Traxter XT they raced with the AC 500.

Old 07-28-2001, 06:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, that sounds more realistic. ATV Mag clocked it at 52, but then again who knows how far they let any of the quads go when they clocked them. I've wondered this myself with a lot of shootouts, because it seems you find a couple mph after letting it wind out for a little longer. If I remember that old shootout, it was like HO-54, Bomb & Griz- 52, Rubi-50, AC-48, and Suzi-46. You know good and well that you've read other articles that showed each of these quads going faster than this. There is really no standard for how each different magazine measures their top speed figures. Is it over a 300yd. stretch or after a half mile of just running all out or what? I don't see a Bombardier going 60, but I'm sure if I wanted to buy one, a salesman would tell me that. I heard one salesman tell me the original Traxter would do 65. I didn't bother to argue with the guy. Another fool said that ATV magazine said the DS 650 would go 104mph. I couldn't let that one go though. Good grief, he had two dummies in there that were believing him too! This was earlier in the year, and the guy told these people that he had raptor owners coming in right and left wanting to trade in.

Here is what was funny about this. When this happened, the raptor had only been out for like a couple months, and the local dealers had only gotten like 4 or 5 in stock in that time. Only a few guys in a 100 mile radius owned this bike at the time, and most for a month or less, but this salesman had people in right and left wanting to trade them. My gosh, Salesman will say anything. I think quad salesman are just lawyers that couldn't pass the bar.

Old 07-28-2001, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

what do you guys think would be the better mudder the new griz, new cat, or the new prairie?

Old 07-29-2001, 02:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would say grizz, but this is the only reason I could base it on. Plainly, it has a locking differential and IRS for straight line ground clearance. The only way I would say this is because the Prairie has the lower axle to hang down and the Cat doesn't lock. Thats all. Other than that, I don't have a clue. I think the Cat will be the best IRS quad available bar none. That picture of the suspension squatting on the rocks is just awesome.