Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Hey Mr Boner or anone else - Ground Clearance "500i" Vs "500ACT"

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance at dealer shows or elsewhere to measure groud clearance of the 500i compared to the '02 500 ACT while loaded with a rider. I am curious to know if the 500i still has more GC after someone around 200 pounds sits on it? Anyone?

Still an Arctic Cat lover at heart[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-03-2001, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

54 Views and no replies. Come on guys. People want to know the answer to this and all our Arctic Cat experts are letting us down [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

We need answers! We want the truth! We CAN handle the truth! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-03-2001, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think anyone other than a few select dealers have had the chance to sit on one yet to give you a reply. My local dealer is supposed to get 5 of them in the next week or so. When he does, I'm supposed to be able to take one out for a test ride. I will post all the pertinent info here. As of yet though, we just don't know. Sorry.

Old 10-03-2001, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Minehunters right, we'd love to give you the info, but the dealers just don't have the "i" models yet, so unfortunately, nobody knows! The other thing to consider is, you can't just sit on the machine, then have somebody take a measurement-this would be a false measurement until you actually drove the machine a few feet either way (forward or backwards) to let the suspension flex to the natural riding heigth. This will drop some, as the a-arms flex outward with weight, and the machine lowers itself to handle the weight and conforms to it's natural riding stance. How much will the AC flex with just a rider is a good question we all are wondering. From what I've heard, I don't think it will be all that much, and my GUESS is that because of the new design (said to be superior to the SP IRS), the IRS Cat will still have more clearance than the ACT, even though the ACT is up at a claimed 10.75. Now, my opinion still stands that if you plan to do any serious towing/hauling, or carrying of heavy loads for any length of time, or frequently, I'd still take the ACT over the IRS-but again, that's more for working conditions than just plain casual trail riding.

Best of Luck, and be patient-my dealer still doesn't have the ACT model, let alone the "i" series, so it might take a few weeks...

Mike

Old 10-03-2001, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

OK guys. Remember this post and let us know. Thanks for the replies. I realize the "i" models aren't out yet, but I thought some smart dealer would have checked out the GC after proper loading under normal conditions. I just talked with my dealer here and he is extremely impressed with the "i" models after testing them at a show. He is a trail rider and already has a 400i lined up. Said that power is a little bit more even from low to top end, and that the flexing of the rear IRS of 400/500i's is very impressive indeed. Damn I wish they added a front locker to the 500i!!!!!! Throw in a front locker and you have the best mudder out next year, but alas... I've already asked Highlifter and DirtyHowie's if either of them have a locker in the mix for next year for Arctic Cats and of course they don't. Stupid Hondas get all the aftermarket stuff. I guess it's b/c they need the most mods (I can say that all you Honda lovers b/c I have one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

Old 10-03-2001, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

You're exactly right-from an accessories standpoint, that is about the AC's only downfall-not as many aftermarket kits available! My guess is that Honda and Polaris sell far more machines than AC, so the demand for aftermarket parts (like lockers) for 'Cats is just not enough to even worry about producing. I doubt there is much difference between lockers, or it wouldn't take much to change to fit one machine or another, but still, that is more production dollars involved to get it produced and if there isn't enough demand for the product, they loose money. I don't know of any company around that is willing to risk loosing money producing a product when there just isn't enough demand for it in the first place. Of course, the front diff. works great for me, I've been through places where locked four wheel drives have gone, and made it just as easily as they have, and I've never been stranded with that dreaded "three wheel effect" either, so honestly, even if they did have a locker available for the 'Cats, I wouldn't buy it. No need too. Shocks/springs are the other thing though that I think would be good sellers, yet nobody makes them. Oh well, if accessories were my biggest priority, I would have purchased one of the competitions machines. My 'Cat has been perfect for me, and with my spacers, I don't need the shocks now, so what more can you ask for-a machine that does everything you ask of it and gets you home at the end of a long day-that's pretty damn good if you ask me, don't get much better than that.

Happy Trails,

Mike

Old 10-04-2001, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

Yep. Well said. Take it from a budding MBA student in a Marketing class, no demand = no incentive to produce. Doesn't take an MBA to say that though.

I remember reading sometime ago that the front diff of the 02 500's might be lockable? It's all speculation at this point, but would love to lock it up if I get one. I do agree with you about the action of AC front diff's vs true 4x4 of Polaris, Traxters. I never found a spot they could go that I couldn't when I had my Arctic Cat before. However, both wheels pulling all the time has to be better than not. Only times I use 4x4 is for mudding or really steep rocky hills. I was in situations where I 3-wheeled. Yes, you can blip throttle mutiple times, cram on the brakes a few times and turn the wheels and sometimes it would switch to the other tire, but I'd rather just save my energy, CV's, and brakes and push a botton. I'd love the ability to lock the fronts, but it isn't going to happen, unless one of you more mechanically inclined people figures out how to adjust the diff in the 02 models. Top 3 things for me are: IRS, man shift, and front locker. Since 02 500i is the only model worth mentioning that has man shift and IRS (Rincon/Zuki's not includ), I'll settle for two out of three. Especially since AC 4x4 action is really 3.5 x 4 compared to Honda/Yam/Kawi (not 660 or 650) 3x4.

I don't need to go 70 on a 600-750 pound quad that I only take through mud at 5 mph, so Grizz, 650 Praire, and 700 sportman are out for me. (If Grizz came in man shift, I might be persuaded)

Rincon is a beautiful 3x4, just like Honda's in past - out
Praire 650 has 2/3 of the ground clearence of IRS, belt drive - out
Polaris 700 is a truck (OK, small Jeep) not an ATV - out

Sorry for long post, but I'm getting worked-up here!
Arctic Cat...I'm commin' home!