Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

front differential on AC 400 - limited slip or open basket design?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting very close to buying a new Artic Cat - would like to know if front diff is limited slip. I read that the older models were but my dealer thinks the current diff is open basket and not limited slip. If it is limited slip, how does it compare performance wise to the locking diff found on Polaris and other competitors?

Old 10-06-2001, 11:33 PM
Range Rover

HEY dude I dont know, But when i ordered my 2002-400i I ask my dealer about that ,He said that it had the same diff as last year . When he got the frist 400-500 -2002 in I went down to see them .He showed me the new way they disingauge the front diff with a cluch in the driveshaft ,NOT the diff like before . IT looked like mine on the outside may be may not be. I know i like mine it works great . I heard people say they dont but mine dose , I had a 2000-4x4 -250 quadrunner . It had difflock on it here in the blue ridge mountains the trails steep and shell rock . IT really helps 2001-400-4x4-2000-250-2x4-1997-220-bayou-2002-400i-4x4 - nov- 17 - I hope

Old 10-07-2001, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

The front differential is totally different from the older models. Suzuki used to make the older front differentials, now Arctic Cat is making them.

The front differential action is not as good as true locking front differential-- but 2nd to it. IT will normally lock up, but not as quick as a true locking one. So thats why I say it is 2nd to it.

As for ther ebeing a locker position, no way there can be one. Today we were trying to set a 250 4x4 into 2wd with out the conversion kit and found out that the 2wd levermoves a spring loaded collar that engages splines on the Driveshaft interanally. As soon as you let off of the lever the spring loaded collar moves back into position on the driveshaft. We tried moving it the other way and it would not go any farther.

Sorry guys, no more locker for ANY Arctic Cat models after 2001.

Old 10-07-2001, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Boner -
Are you running your Cat in rice fields? I'm north of you in Alexandria and that is primarily where I'll be using mine. Know anyone who is having any problems with the water on the autos? I'd love to have the auto if I knew it wouldn't have big problems with belt slippage. Sounds like the newer front diffs work much like the old diff, just by a different mechanism. thanks

Old 10-07-2001, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

We don't have many rice feilds in Breaux Bridge. We just have farmers who farm Crawfish (Breaux Bridge is the Crawfish capital of the world if anyone didn't know) and they grow rice in the offseason so the crawfish have something to eat and as an extra income for them.

I can tell you this, if you go deeper than the transmission intakes you WILL have problems just like any other person. On the other hand, most rice feilds are not deep enough to go over the intakes, so you should be fine. I know Mrs. Jenny at Desotel's in Mamou(Arctic Cat dealer that sells ALOT of bikes to the Rice farmers in the area) was telling me how when the auto first came out she gave, to test for a time period unknown to me, an Automatic quad to one of her customersthat is the hardest on his bikes and he was a rice farmer. He would bring it every now and then for the oil change and all and he never had a problem with the transmission. He lost a couple of CV boots due to rice wraping up in them and tearing them, but that was pretty much it.

So, the autos are not as much of a problem as they are made out to be most of the time. But I just personally really preffer the manuals.

Maybe me and you can get together for a ride. What do you own? And if you are looking for a new bike you can stop by our dealership.

Get back with me on that.

Old 10-07-2001, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Boner-

Thanks for the info - I don't currently own anything. Looking to buy sometime this month in anticipation of duck season. I first looked at the Artic Cats at a display from Desotel's last year. Our dealer here in Alex. is not as aggressive at selling them but seems to be a pretty good mechanic. What dealership are you at? I really like the Cat the best of all the bikes I've looked at. If they had a locking diff I probably would have bought one already. I still can't decide if I want the features of the 2002 models or if it would be OK to go with the 2000 model and save some money.