Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2000 AC 500 manual over Heating

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy has this bike and what has happen is everytime he went in water he would blow a fuse for his fan, so now he has put a togle switch so he can turn it off when need be, the problem now is that the bike keeps overheating from just driving. Why? How can he fix this problem and why was it blowing fuses when going into deep water. This is not right, now were having to stop 3-4 times every trip to let his Cat cool down. I have not seen this happen before and we need to cure this problem before the bike has engine damage. It should not of been blowing fuses in the first place, its an AC, there probably one of the best for deep water crossing.
Thanks
2000 Grizz
3600 Km's and not a hickup.

Old 10-11-2001, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Someone else can jump in here if I am wrong...but the 2000 AC's have a cooling fan that is ALWAYS on. In deep water, the water hitting the fan causes it to suddendly slow and blows the fuse. The toggle switch solves this problem. Is he turning the fan back on after water crossings? Are you sure it's working? These seem like simple questions, but if he's turning the fan back on after crossing the water, and it's definately ON, then he should not be overheating.

The 2002's, like my 400, have a thermostatic fan that only goes on when it needs too. From all accounts, this seems to solve the problem. He might consider contacting his AC dealer and seeing if is 500 can be retrofitted.

Old 10-11-2001, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

I had an overheating problem on my 01 Arctic Cat 500 auto. My problem was that I failed to properly clean the back (engine) side of the radiator. Looked clean from the front, but the back was so full that it overheated easily. It's worth one check to be sure the radiator is clean on both sides in order to rule that out.

Old 10-11-2001, 12:59 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

The dealer told me to always clean the oil cooler, on the 250 4x4, (should be the same for a radiator) from the back. I'm assuming this is to prevent mud and other crap from getting pushed through the cooler.

Old 10-11-2001, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Definetly make sure it is clean on both sides. Mud will ruin the radiators ability to cool properly. So will grass and other garbage you pick up in the water. Make sure the toggle is working and the fan IS coming on. Is the fan turning on FULL SPEED? If the switch has induced too much resistance in the curcuit it may be eating up the juice to turn the fan full speed and now there is not enough airflow. Cleaning sounds like the best plan first, even w/o the fan working properly it should cool while running at a good clip but the slow technical stuff will overheat it quickly if the radiator is dirty. Does it have plenty of water in it and is the water pump flowing adequatly? Pull the cap off(be careful!) and check for flow. Hope this helps you guys out.

Dakota R/T

Old 10-11-2001, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Yam-
Everybody has put up some great advice, and Pechmial is right on about the 2000 and the explanation of the fan switch. From this handful of posts, I shouldn't even reply, as they about covered everything. I would do exactly as mentioned in the above posts-starting with thoroughly cleaning the radiator, both front and back-make sure you can see light coming through. Next, look into that switch, like Dakota said, it could be running at a less than optimum rate of speed for efficient cooling, and do make sure he is flipping the fan back on after the water crossing is over. If those are both alright, check, clean, add or change the fluid in the radiator, see if that helps. If all this fails, look into the possibility of the overheating indicator being faulty or run it in to the dealer for a check over. Hope this has helped.

Best of Luck, let us know how it turns out,

Mike

Old 10-11-2001, 05:19 PM
Range Rover

Bit off topic but has anyone tried installing a 'bus" type fuse instead of a toggle switch. These fuses are used alot in commercial highway trucks,they are essentially self resetting fuses. There are 2 terminals on the fuses that you can splice into the fan circuit. If the fuses pops it will reset itself in 10 seconds or so. Seems alot easier then having to install/mount a toggle switch and eliminates teh chances that one might forget to flip the toggle after a water crossing. Just my two cents

Old 10-12-2001, 12:26 AM
JKB
Pro Rider

I have been using one on my 400 andit works great. I put one in rated at 10 amps so it trips before taking out the fuse.

Cheers jim

Old 10-12-2001, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer

Thats what I have been using for a couple of years, it is actually a Buss brand automatic reset fuse, plugs right in to the spot where the blade fuse(for the fan)would normally go. The only thing is it taller than a normal fuse and your stock fuse cover will not fit. I was lucky at the time I was working at AC and got a prototype cover with a hump in to go over the larger resetable circuit breaker. If your radiator is clean and your cooling system is functioning correctly it might be the temp sensor in the head, my buddy just replaced his because the temp light would flicker, 1700 miles on a 2000 500. Aczr2k

Old 10-16-2001, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

HEY
Aczr2k
Do you know where i can get that bus like fuse, people have told me that you get get these at the dealership, but when i call the dealership they say no. AC has also told me that I can get one, but yet I cant find them???? Anyhelp would be great....
Thanks

Quick Reply: 2000 AC 500 manual over Heating