Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Okay guys, it's crunch time and I need serious help here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 07:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll make this as easy as possible. I have $7500.00 and I'm going to buy a new quad on Saturday. I know this is the AC board and you guys are certainly partial to them, but you're also the most open minded and utility machine oriented people on the site. The dilema right now is Honda Rubicon or Arctic Cat 500 Auto?

Here's the features I'm looking for in order:

1. Reliability
2. Ride quality
3. Mud coverage
4. Price
5. Ground clearance
6. Weight of machine
7. Switchable 2wd/4wd
8. Resale value
9. Appearance

I believe Honda is better in mud coverage, resale value, appearance and weight. Arctic cat wins in ground clearance, 2wd/4wd, price, and ride quality. Both dealers are good, so I guess the only thing I'm not quite sure of is reliabilty. I've always had good luck with Honda and have heard very few negative things about Arctic Cat.

ARGGHHH!!!! I'm excited to get a new machine, but it sure is a difficult decision.

Not considering the Grizz 660 because it seems to have a few too many things going on and the plastic is cheap as can be. The 650 Prairie doesn't do anything for me nor does any Polaris.

Old 10-11-2001, 08:32 PM
Range Rover

If it were me I would hold out till next years models come out in hopes that Arctic cat comes out with a 650 or 700cc model. Otherwise being the die hard Arctic Cat guy I am I would go with a new cat. I'm not shure what there asking for a new Honda but it's hard to beat the price there asking for the new Cats, plus you'll have plenty left over for extras. Only thing I would get the 500 manual over the auto, but thats just me.
good luck

Old 10-11-2001, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

UtahRancher-
I have to agree with most of your breakdown, but am a little leary of the mud coverage and appearance issues. I assume you'll be buying a new '02 for that price? Appearance seems to be the most personal thing there is-I tend to love the way my 'Cat looks, but most consider it ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or beerholder depending on who you talk to![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]). After seeing the new 375 and 500TBX Cats, I REALLY like the new design and features. I'm sure you already know my previous feelings of the Ruby, which aren't that great, so I will try not to dwell on that. You might look further into the "little" things that will help sell the 'Cat a little more, such as new redesigned wider floorboards (very nice I might add), and a new wiring system that is more water friendly, a different "plug" style connections as well.

The tranny on the auto has also been reengineered so the vents are at higher locations-much higher in fact. The exhaust is up near the brake light, and the intake is up above the gas tank by the steering pod-I think there is either 3 or 4 on my auto, and they've removed at least one of those with the new design, so the water issues are probably non existant at this point with the new tranny.

Front diff. would be another consideration-my experience with the AC is that it works very efficiently. I know I said I'd try not to say much "bad" about the Ruby, but in all honesty, it did not function as well as the 'Cat. This was the '01 model Ruby so unless they made some significant changes in the design, you'll still be able to "three wheel" that thing very easily in the rocks and off-camber stuff.

I do agree hands down that the Ruby has the best resale value-anything stamped "honda" will. As for mud coverage-gosh, I just don't know-we were both really covered in mud, but a lot of the stuff on the front of his machine was from me towing him through a few places. Seriously. Honda also takes the cake with the weight issue-by what maybe 140 lbs.???

If it comes down to reliability, I honestly don't think that should sway your decision one way or the other. At this point in the game, even the Polaris machines are more reliable than they used to be. AC has built some tough machines that take a beating and beg for more. Honda has had past reputation for the most reliable, but either that is slipping some, or the others are just getting that much better. At any rate, you take good care of your machines, so I don't think this should be a consideration. Both will hold up well in my opinion.

With this, have you been able to take a good test ride on each? I hate to be so biased here, but with a broken back and previous back injuries, I just could not ride the Ruby for more than 45 minutes before I was ready to die. He loved the ride of my 'Cat and did not want to trade, but with the pain I was in, it was too late, I just couldn't go any further on that thing. If you can ride each one again, I would highly recommend it. Those long rides where you'll cover 100+ miles in a day-a good ride is about the most important thing in maintaining the "fun factor". If you're in pain, all you want to do is get back to the truck and head home, and that is no fun at all. BTW-did I mention the new wider, more "plush" seat on the AC?

I'm sorry to be so biased here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img], I probably shouldn't have even replied, but you know me-just had to throw in my two cents. I'm sure some of the more objective guys will give a better response than I, so hopefully that will aid in your decision. At any rate, good luck with that, it definately isn't easy.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Old 10-11-2001, 09:00 PM
Range Rover

I guess the best advice is to ride both. If it was my personal opinion though, I think the Honda is over rated. I tried one this past winter, and was not really that inpressed. But then I agian I really didnt ride it that long. Since you ruled out most atv's I would like to make a suggestion of the new traxter. I for one I have not tried the new 650, but I heard its a very nice machine. I know the old 500 where nice, I guess the new one is even better as far as ride quality. Bombardier is also suppose to be very reliable. I think with any new quad you will be happy. I personlly love my cat. If you where to get a cat, I would highly recomend a 2002 model. The 2002 seemed to have many nice new updates. Best of luck and I hope what ever you get gives you good luck for reliability.
MATTY

Old 10-11-2001, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

I can't speak to reliability. All I can say is that I've heard good things about Honda, and no one has complained about Arctic Cat. I'm from Minnesota, and we tend to speak in the negative so "It ain't bad" means "It's real good!" I'd say the reliability of the Arctic Cat "ain't bad."

Whenever someone mentions models they are considering, I like to look up the specs on the manufacturers websites for comparision. Not that the people asking haven't done this themselves, but I just like doing it anyway.

The AC is only 69lbs heavier than the Rubi. The "i" model has more than 4" of clearance over the Honda, the Act Model has about 3" more. The AC has 300 lbs of combined rack capacity and can tow 1050 lbs, Honda does not even mention the Rubi's capacities (they don't seem to mention this for ANY of their models, this alone sent up flags for me, even though I am sure the machines are well built. Something to hide, Honda?). The AC has a larger gas tank and Disc brakes all around, not drums.

All I can really tell you is if I had the money to spend, I'd still buy the AC. Or maybe I'd hold out for that new Rincon, which really LOOKS sweet, but is probably more than $8000. But then, I really don't WORK my Cat, I just play on it. You'll be WORKING your machine (assuming you really are a Utah Rancher). My hunch is that the Cat would tip the scale as a work machine. Maybe not by much, but enough in my estimation.

Old 10-11-2001, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

I only wish I had the same problem you do UtahRancherRider, money to spend and two great quads to choose from. Tough choice but I would buy another AC especially the 2002s. You put reliabilty and smooth ride 1 and 2 and the AC has that covered. I'll give the Honda 3 only only to seem impartial. Ac takes 4 and 5 if you are talking about a 2002. Forget resale value, you will like the machine too much!

You can't go wrong here to be honest. If you really like the Honda buy the AC instead in RED like I did! Enjoy.

Dakota R/T

Old 10-11-2001, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

Based on your top 5 in the list - Arctic Cat beats Honda in all except #1, but that is arguable with the Rubi. It has had it's problems. No one would argue however the transmission of the Rubi is the best in the business. Tough call, but if price and ride are top contenders, I'd go with Arctic Cat. You will absolutely love how it rides. The suspension in them is kick-butt!

Old 10-12-2001, 01:59 AM
Range Rover

NYmudder, I see you sold your 2002 Rancher, what are you going to get to replace it? I'm debating what to do with my Rancher. I think I'll keep it for my wife to ride for right now. She actually wants a 2002 Recon ES but I figure the Ranchers paid for so why not just keep it.

Everyone else, thanks for all the input, and keep it coming. Who knows, might just have to put my choices into a hat and draw one out. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2001, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

Hmm. It's gonna be hard for me to give an honest review without putting down the Rubicon. I've rode 3 of them and was only impressed with one of them. Don't know why, just didn't feel all the power, compression braking, and ride that everyone had been talking about.

Anyway, Lets look at them from a features vs features stand point:
AC has 100 lbs front rack capacity and a 200 lbs rear rack capacity vs the Rubicon's 66lbs up front and 133 in the rear. The AC's has a much better suspension that not only gives you a good ride, but the suspension also give you more traction and a safer ride because it will keep all 4 tires in contact with the ground more offten than the swing arm suspension on the Rubicon. The Ac has a much softer and wider seat. Steel floor borads where the Rubicon has plastic floorborads supported by a little 3/8" metal rod (you can feel the plastic flex when you stand on the bike). The AC has far better disc brakes over the Honda's drums. A superior winch mount, 69 dollar offer on a 2500 lb warn. Much larger gas tank than the Rubicon by over a gallon (3.7 vs 4.75). Selectable 2wd vs full time 4wd. Much better Skid plate (have to remove the skid plate to change the oil filter on the Rubicon). $5699 vs $6999 on the MSRPs.

The Rubicon advantages include a handle bar mounted light, more contamination free tranny, better tires, less body roll, little more sporty, more resale value, and thats about it.

Look at what you get with the Arctic Cat that the Rubicon doesn't. Look at how Arctic Cat packs all of these added features that the Rubicon doesn't have, yet the Arctic Cat is priced $400 bucks below the Rubicon, then you can get a winch for $69 dollars on the 2002 model Arctic Cats. Thats another $300-400 bucks. Then I recomend you get the $100 High Lifter fender kit for the Rubicon so you will not have to worry about the floorborads giving out on your one day when you are steping on them. And if you want added light, just buy the $100 dollar High Lifter Arctic Cat Day lighter kit.

I mean, I can't tell you what to buy, I can only give you the facts and my oppinions. But I can recomend that you go with the cat. I think that it's a MUCH better buy.

Old 10-12-2001, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

UtahRancherRider,
Did you go down to Moab the end of September? Did you get a chance to compare the two machines while you were down there? I tend to agree with everyone else, the Honda is over rated, and over priced. but I must say that I'm prejudice. I hate honda's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
If your only concern or swaying factor is reliability. Suzuki invented the ATV. They have been around a long time. Their motors are just as good and bullet proof as the Honda. Arctic Cat runs the Suzuki motors. The quality on both machines is great. So if you want you can call it a tie. The Arctic Cat is still a better value and a better ride.
You won't be truely happy until you own the AC!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] just kidding I am sure you would be happy with the Honda. I remember talking with Mike (I don't remember his last name, but he has a garbage can attached to each side of his front fender) in the club after we came down Paiute trail #66. He was seriously considering getting rid of his Rubicons for an Arctic Cat just because they were so much more stable.
Anyway, good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with either one.

Quick Reply: Okay guys, it's crunch time and I need serious help here!