Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Well, got the new ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was going back and forth between the 02 Grizz and 02 AC 500i. Went with the 660. Had everything I wanted except a manual transmission. If the AC had a front locker, I'd have gone with the new AC. Was very close with a great deal set up, but went with the Grizz instead. It is a great machine. I think I'll pull out the anti sway bar and see if she'll articulate near as good as the AC ACT system does. Love the locker though. She feels like she'll climb over anything with that engaged!

I'm still an AC fan and will stick around the AC forums cause you guys are the best bunch of any forum.

Old 10-17-2001, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Your post reminds me of when I was in high school.

"I like you a lot but I don't want to go out with you." " We can still be friends can't we?" "I want to date other people."

You got a nice quad. Enjoy.

Dakota R/T

Old 10-17-2001, 03:55 PM
Range Rover

I think you'll be pleased with the Grizzly. With everything going on in the indusrty it sure is a tough decision when it comes to spending over $7000.00. I know I looked for two months solid and changed my mind probably ten times before finally making a decision. I bought a 2002 Rubicon Saturday and just put 26" ITP 589's on it yesterday. Wouldn't it be great to be able to afford one of everything, so you wouldn't have to choose? I know Honda is lagging in some areas, but after months of searching they still seem to fit my tastes and needs best. Good luck with the Grizz. By the way, you're right about these guys being the most sensible and likeable on the board [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2001, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

NYMudder-
Best of Luck with the new Grizz! Talk to Andy, he can tell ya all about how she performs with the rear sway bar removed-I think he's been pretty happy with that little modification there. I hope this one makes ya happier than the Rancher did, hopefully you can hang on to it for a while-well, if ya want too anyway-it probably would be fun to get a new machine every year I guess??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

UtahRancherRider-
Best of Luck to you as well, glad to hear you ended up getting a new machine, you got the one that was best suited for you, that is what counts-I hope you really enjoy it! Maybe a new name is in order now-give this one to the wife, you become the new "UtahRubyRider"??? heh heh heh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Seriously though, Best of Luck to both of you guys. With all the new machines out tody, it is definately a difficult decision. I don't think a guy could really go wrong with any of them, and with a little tlc, even the "P" guys should be well taken care of-well, maybe-that might be pushing it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Enjoy the new machines, Ride Hard, Ride Safe!

Mike

Old 10-18-2001, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

You may hate me for saying this but I've heard from a very reliable source that the Locker is one of the improvements that is planed fo the 2003 models. I know a person that is very high in the ATV community that is looking at the 500i manual and had decied that he would not get the Cat if it didn't have a locker, and after talking to the Arctic Cat rep. This person informed me that he was informed by the Arctic Cat Rep. that the locker would be on the 2003 model.

Got that?? Anyway, just passing along the info.

Old 10-18-2001, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Boner, you need to find out if the new locking mechanism can be retroed to the older model AC's. If indeed they do come out with a locker and it could be retroed it wouldn't be so bad to go ahead and buy an '01 or '02 model. Or maybe Minehunter could help us out here with his inside contact. It sure would be nice to know if you could retro the locker to the '01 and '02 models.

Old 10-23-2001, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

I may be wrong here, but one of the reviews I read recently said that if one of the front wheels of the AC 4x4 spins for a second or two, then it locks the wheels into true 4wd. If this is true, in what situations would it be desireable to have a locker and in what situations will the AC method be acceptable? Just curious as I don't push my AC enough to experience a need for true 4wd.

Thanks!

EtherNut

Old 10-23-2001, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Ethernut-
In all honesty, I really don't see the need for the locker anyway, after seeing what my 'Cat does with it's front diff. I've ridden with machines with "true lockers" before, and we both go the same places with the same amount of ease, or difficulty, neither of us having the advantage over the other in terms of front diff. use and workings-if that makes any sense. Basically, I think the "locker" is a selling point more or less, rather than "pure necessity". Most of the time, in most circumstances, most people do not need the true "locker", yet they associate it with a "must have" scenario just for the hype, again, if that makes sense.

The "locker" is most needed in steep hill climbs with rutted terrain over limbs, roots, rocks what have you where you'll get one tire in the air, leaving on on the ground. In most limited slip machines, the tire in the air gets the power, while the one on the ground stays put and you don't move any further forward, up the hill. With a locker, you're still going, clear to the top. Also, in deep mud pits where you'll find equal or greater resistance depending on ruts, mud depth and consistency will all translate to uneven torque bias in the front diff, thus giving the "three wheel" effect in lesser limited slip machines, in which case a "true locker" is necessary.

Now, having ridden myself, or with other limited slip machines without a locker, I can honestly say that the AC front diff limited slip design is superior to nearly all other (exception being the Traxter) 4x4 atv's. The reason is, simply put, the AC front diff works. I've "free wheeled" the Ruby and a Grizz as well as other various machines in the same terrain my 'Cats (both of them) would go through with ease, regardless of whether or not one tire went in the air or not. So, after seeing other machines in action, I would say yes, a locker is required for the type of riding I do, but again, probably not necessary for the "average Joe" weekend rider who doesn't see much of the "real technical" stuff. On the 'Cats, I don't think it's necessary, simply because I've ridden through the same places as machines with a true locker, and did just as well as they did, regardless of whether or not a tire (or two) were in the air.

Would I like to see AC come out with a locker on their machines in the future? Yes. I believe it is a huge selling point, whether people need it or not, and I've seen many people not buy an AC quad, simply because it did not have a "true locker" option. Would it have made a difference? Probably not-the 'Cat without the locker would go just as many places as the machine they ended up getting with the locker, yet they would have saved money purchasing the 'Cat. If I bought another machine outside of the AC brand, yes, I would definately want a locker. Purchasing another atv today, no, it would not make a difference as I'd buy another AC anyway and I already know how well it works-no need for the "name brand" stuff anyway.

At any rate, everyone has opinions on this issue and they vary greatly depending on who you talk to. These are mine, so take them for what they are worth, I hope it helps.

Best of Luck,

Mike