Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Picked up 500i/Performance Q's etc

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 03:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, first time poster here

had a cat 300 4x4 but it was stolen out of my garage last march and missed having a quad during the spring/summer/fall. My new 500i automatic (wanted a manual but this was the first available) arrived last week and I picked it up this past friday. AC has really dont a great job on this new quad!! first impressions, it looks very tough and has awesome ground clearance. So far I only have about 25 miles on it but i've put it through some tough hill climbs, mud holes and water crossings and its never missed a step.

I'm pretty new to the ATV world so I dont know much about the aftermarket. Are there ANY performance upgrades offered for the Cat 500's? And to clear up one question right off the bat, will upgrades from the 01 and prior 500 cats fit the new 500i's?
If there is anything offered, even if its just a K&N, can someone please provide me a link of where I could take a look.

thanks guys

Matt

Old 12-10-2001, 03:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

and for interests sakes I saw an indicated 53ish MPH on the speedo on a long gravel straight away

not exactly following breakin procedure but i couldnt resist [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2001, 01:26 AM
Range Rover

Shame/Shame Matt. You got to pet that cat right, if you want it to purrr for a long time. I asked a bud of mine who's an ASE and specializes in small engine (motorcyle, ATC, watercraft, etc). He said, he would highly recommend changing the oil and filter after the FIRST heavy riding like you did. He said you can catch a lot of the initial metal shavings, and get them out of your engine. He said one of the main things was to not let the engine's rpm stay at any given rpm for extended amounts of time.

Enjoy, thanks for the info on speed, hopefully not to your expense :-)

Old 12-11-2001, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

hahah ya i dont let any of my new toys get off easy in the first hours of operation. I'm one of those who believe you should break in your new machinery the way your gonna ride it later in its life....and I ride my machinery pretty hard.

I'll never hold it open for a long period of time, and normally I wouldnt do a top speed run like that but I couldnt resist the urge [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Yep on my snowmobiles during breakin i just make sure not to maintain a constant RPM, keep it varrying, with periodical hard acceleration and the odd WOT blast! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Cant wait to get some more mileage on the 500i, its in the garage all cleaned up and ready to go....one problem, its sitting in the garage at my cottage which is 3 hours from home [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

would love to hear from some more 500i owners out there.

Old 12-11-2001, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

The K&N air filters, Dynojet jet kits, and web cams should all fit ont he 500i. The IDS2 performance exhaust systems will probally not fit it though. Another thing you could possibly do is to use a higher compression piston from the Vinson and port and polish the head. This would make a huge difference in power.