Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Idle problem with 500i Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bbertram, you can go to "Tech tips" here in the forum if you have problems. These guys are very knowledgable and really enjoy helping all of us.
Try it!
Chuck

Old 01-22-2002, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

How do you get to Tech Tips?

Old 01-27-2002, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

I didn't see your post earlier because I was looking in all the wrong places.
Sorry!
When you open the ATVCONNECTION.COM, look to the left for "TECH CONNECTION". Click on it and follow the instructions. Post your problem, get reliable help...
Chuck

Old 01-27-2002, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

This is another tire question.
bbertram:
I noticed you have 26-10-12 and 26 -12-12 outlaws on. In your pics this setup looks to have made your quad very wide. Now i was wondering if that was because of the ITP rims, if you put spacers, or if it was solely becuase of the 12" wide tires in the back. I was considering 26-12-12 bearclaws when i get my quad, but i can't have them being that wide. I know 500i's tires stick out from the fenders as it is, adn i don't want them out much more. I don't think Bearclaws come in 26-11-12.. so that is why i have to find out about this before hand so that i could possible look to a dofferent tire. thanks.

BJBlomert:

How are your Bearclaws working for you? Did they make the steerign easier? I was just wondering, also, why you close 25"? Too bad you didn't have some pics so i could see how they look. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] haha

thanks

newf

Old 01-27-2002, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

Newf,
The 25 Kendas are working fine. I haven't tried them in all conditions yet on the new quad (-25C and windy), but I had them on my old 1986 350trx 4x4 and I was really happy with them. I never tried the stock tires on the AC 400i, as I bought the bike, and took it directly to a tire dealer and traded the stock Dunlops in. So, I can't tell you if they improve handling on the AC, but they definetly did on the old Honda....and my 11 and 13 year old daughters both drive my new AC 400i with not too much problem. They both say it is easier in 2wd, but I cannot tell the difference.

I chose the 25 inch tires because that is what the stock tire size was. I spoke to a few on this forum, and decided that for power reasons in the 400i motor, I would stay with stock sizes. From what little miles I have put on my new AC, I think I made the correct decision. The i model with my 25 Kenda measures 13 clearence at the rear hitch, and with stock rims measures 50 inches wide at the back. It does not fit in my old trailer now.

The 25 x 12.5 x 12 Kenda tires are slightly different than those for 11 inch rims....I have those on the old Honda. The 12 rims tires have a tread **** that sticks out the side of the tire probably half an inch on either side so adds to the width. They should really grip the sides of tire trenchs etc.

I can get a digital camera next week for a couple of quick shots if you need some. Let me know.

By the way, if there are any Canucks close to me that want an old 1986 Honda 350 TRX 4x4, let me know. It's had a hard life but it still runs good.

Old 01-27-2002, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

bblomert:
Nah don't worry about the camera, i was just joking. You don't have to go through any hassle, after all I am just gathering info on tires now and am not in any rush to get any. Heck, i don't even have the quad yet!

I am concerned about width, though, if i was to get after market tires. I saw the 12.5" wide ones yesterday as i was browsing through a store. They didn't seem too wide at the time, but on second thought they might be after all. And as far as i know they are the next step up in 25" tires from 10". So for that reason i guess i would have to move up to 26" so that i could get 12" wide. That seems like small potatoes, only a half inch difference, but I would rather have 11" than 12" to begin with. So how was that for confusing? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Judging by what you say about having 13" GC with 25" tires on an i model, i would have rathered them.. since i think that is more than enough GC. In my mind there is such thing as too high up!

Oh well.. i better shut up now because i am starting to confuse my self!

newf

ps thanks for the info!

Old 01-28-2002, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

The ITP D-Series rims I have are offset on the rear, this was not intentional. I ordered them from a guy up here and I guess he ordered the wrong ones or something but I think I like it this way. Once I see how my quad works this way in the mud and trails I might decide to get the rear rims with no offset. I kept the stock rims and tires too, so that I can run either or when ever I want or when the conditions call for it.

I have no spacers, its all the rims. With 12" wide tires on the rear you will have .5" more tire out past the side, the stock tires on the 500i are 11" on the rear. Good luck on your new tires.

Old 01-28-2002, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

whoa whoa hold on now.. what do you mean by offset? you mean to tell me that those rims are meant to reduce width? OR are they meant to increase the width? If those are meant to make the quad LESS wide then i would hate to see those tires on normal rims!

BTW I hope i don't come across as bashing wide quads. They rule for certain types of riding, but those kinds (excessive mudding and wide trails) are not my main focus.

newf

Old 01-28-2002, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

I think what his tire man did was order wheels for the ACT model. They have a 3" per wheel wider offset for the rear. The i model will take the front wheels on all 4 corners. The 250 and 300 are the same way.

Old 01-28-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

The rims move the tires out not in. So that the machine is wider. I don't see you coming across as bashing wide quads. I might buy the normal ones this summer, depends if I break any CV Joints or if the trails are to narrow. Atleast it will drive through the ruts like no ones business and it will side hill like a tank(or something that doesn't flip on side hills). Its going to be cool I think, I can't wait for the spring time.

Quick Reply: Idle problem with 500i Manual