Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Hilifters 500i.......??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, first of all take a look at hilifters 500i.

http://www.highlifter.com/quads_detail.php3?detail=34

The quad is huge and awesome but the damn thing looks to high, I think it might be tippy. What do you guys think? I think they should make the quad a little wider. With my outlaws on, my quad gets very wide !! I put one side of the quad on ramps and tried to tip it over, it will never tip on me. But hilifters quad will I think.

Old 01-17-2002, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

That thing is awesome! It is way taller than the others (Texmudders pics) and wider. I know it has to be more stable than the others. That 660 looks like a good wind could blow it over.
Since Highlifter has an AC now I hope they come out with some accessories for them. I would love to have a Trax lock locker, front bumper, power kit, and maybe some of them mud shocks. Only time will tell.

Old 01-17-2002, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

I think that is the same one as texmudders pics. I think its a little narrow actually. Take a look at my quad and you will see wide. My pic link is in the sig

Old 01-17-2002, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I've seen yours and it is very wide. It wouldn't fit on most of the trails that we ride around here. If you could ever get to the mud holes you wouldn't have any trouble getting trough them. Mainly because you couldn't get in 2 ruts at the same time. That much positive offset also puts more stress on your bearings and spindles. But I think you could side hill where most quads would flip trying to climb up. How do those Outlaws hold up? How many miles do you have on them? I've thought I would like to have a set of 28x10 just for the mud. I hear they are the best in the mud. I don't ride with anyone that runs the Outlaws. Most run the Vampires or Mudzillas around here. Those 28x10 EDL vampires are a lot of tire too.

Old 01-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

With the big tires and offset rims I don't jump or drive to wild because it will be allot hard on components. The first time I break a CV joint I might buy some new rear rims so that it isn't offset as much. The outlaws are holding up great !!! I have about 1000 miles on them and they are like brand new still, they are the best in swamps !! The vamps have more bite to them but they also weigh a fair bit more and will require more power, but when your in first gear anyways what is the difference. The ride is a little ruff but once you get past 10 mph then it smoothes out. In 2x4 these tires are fun !! This summer I will really test the outlaws on my bike, I'll see how tough the 500i really is.

Old 01-19-2002, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

BBertram~

That's one awesome cat you have there!

Mudcat~

Those pics you're referring to shows that 500I with a rear lift, and the 660's rear is stock. They don't have a rear lift out for the 660...yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

SilverBear

Old 01-19-2002, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Silver bear: I was just refering to the way the 660 looked. By being tall and not as wide, looked as though you could turn it over easy. I didn't know that it didn't have a rear lift. I know that when I ride with my friend on his 660 my AC is more stable than his 660. Some times he has to get off and walk along beside it to keep it from turning over. In the same places I can just hang it out on the side & drive along. We both agree that the AC is more stable on sidehills. But he does kick my butt when we hit a straight away.

Old 01-19-2002, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Mudcat~

Do you know if that 660 Grizz on Tex's sight uses offset wheels? I would agree with you, a stock 660 Grizz is not as stable as a stock 500I Cat, but only for one reason, IMHO:

Arctic Cat does not put a sway bar on their quads, while Yamaha does. The reason, I suspect, is one will do 65mph+, and with IRS and no sway bar trying a take a corner at that speed...I'm not a rocket scientist, and am pretty sure that I know what will happen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Now, the result of a sway bar vs no sway bar is that the quad with a sway bar looses a substantial amount of suspension articulation. That is why you can actually push a 660 over in stock form and probally not an Arctic Cat 500I. What I did with my Grizz is put ITP offset rims, 12" wide tires, and removed my sway bar. You would have to be at an extreme off camber situation to even hope to tip the quad over now.

Now, I'm am not bashing AC. I own an Arctic Cat, and my first choice on a new machine this year was the 500I...I just got too impatient and tired of waiting for AC to actually get it released, so I bought a 660 Grizz. The AC still has the most suspension travel out of any utility quad and the most Ground Clearance...beats the Yammy by .2 inch. I think Cats are an incredible machine and to be honest was really dissapointed with my Grizz until I took the sway bar off. (I also believe the AC ACT suspension flexes better then the Grizz with a sway bar on!) I kept wondering where that 9.5" of suspension travel was, fact is you can't get it with the sway bar on. If your friend is running aftermarket rims & tires, I would have you suggest he try his Grizz w/o the sway bar. He will be amazed, it's not the same machine you pick up off the dealer floor. If he is still running stock rims & tires, I wouldn't suggest taking the sway bar off, because from what I've read, folks with the stock setup and sway bar removed experience too much body roll. (That can be helped by adjusting the preloads on the shocks, though) And folks with the aftermarket set up, like I have, w/o the sway bar have never really noticed it much.

Anyways, sorry it's so long, but If you friend is anything like I am, he is likely unhappy with the way his Grizz suspension is treating him with that sway bar. Last caveat...if he does more high speed riding than slow technicle riding, I wouldn't suggest removing the sway bar, but if the main focus on his riding is technical, off camber situations, etc....he'll love it w/o the sway bar.

SilverBear

Old 01-19-2002, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

I am manufacturing lift kits in Canada since 4 years and I can tell you I would'nt make one for an ATV with over 10 inches of travel! First, they do not need to be lifted, because they have great ground clearance, and second, they will be easy to fall on their side!

Old 01-19-2002, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer

The Grizzly 660 cannot have a rear lift kit because the rear CV joint are at their maximum angle. Lift the rear of the 660, remove a shock and you'll see that the A-arm can't go lower.

Raymond Hébert
Perfex

Quick Reply: Hilifters 500i.......??