Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 500 auto or honda 45o

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking to buy new machine artic cat 500 auto or honda 450 cat has best price and is auto honda has good reputation is the cat as good as the honda

Old 01-31-2002, 01:01 AM
Range Rover

every bit as good maybe better and these days shouldnt we be supporting american companies united we stand jap crap sucks

Old 01-31-2002, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

Did you know that you have really asked the current ultimate atv question?

Reliabilty and performance. Both made in the USA.

Proven verses theoretically better and better riding.

(Like Dennis Hopper in Apocolypse Now)

Old 01-31-2002, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

I think the Arctic Cat 500 is the better quad here, hands down. Its got more ground clearance, alot more low end grunt,rides alot better, and has better traction. As far as honda being more reliable, thats a bunch of B.S. I've ridden both machines and own an Arctic Cat 500 and they aren't really even close in any catagory!

Old 01-31-2002, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Who ever you ask, most likely they are going to say theirs is best. I really believe the reliability issue is even. It seems to me that either Honda reliability is going down or maybe everyone else is just getting that much better. I just don't think there is that much difference in the two. I really like my ACs and have had good luck with them,
I've been riding AC since 98.
As far as choosing just read all the info you can get and go ride both. Decide what you want it to do, and get the best one for you.
The most important part is choosing a good dealer, not salesman but the whole package. A dealer can make or break the ownership experience.

Old 01-31-2002, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

Gee whiz guys not sure how you could say the arctic cat is as good as honda when they haven't been around long enough to know. I am on the trails all the time and have seen very few cats, lots of honda 3 wheelers and early 80's honda still going strong. That was well before cat even thought about building quads. Heck I will put my money where the value is and there nobody even close to the Japanese yet in my opinion. Dependability and reliability is #1 with me, I do alot of riding alone so this very important. Please don't get to excited about these comments just talk to people that have been on the trails for as long as I have and they will tell you.

Terry M.

Old 01-31-2002, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

I started out on a Honda ATC 110, I think that was quite some time ago. I've had 6 Hondas over the years, they were all good ATVs (a few 2 wheelers too). The last one I had was a 300 4x4. All my friends got 400s and 450s, we all started to notice a few problems. Rear drive shafts, wheel bearings, and brakes. I won't even go into the ES models. I never said they were junk, they are far from that. I just don't think they are at the top all alone any longer. The reason I gave up on them was because they refuse to give us new products. I really hated cleaning and adjusting brakes. There are a lot of great quads out there. We all are the winners because it makes all the companys look for new and better things, to make their quad stand out. Do you think Honda would have come out with the Hondamatic if Polaris hadn't been so sucessful with their auto quads. Look at the new Rincon IRS where do you think they came up with that idea?
When they are competing for our dollars. We will be the ones to win, no matter what you want to ride.

Old 01-31-2002, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi
Its true that Arctic Cat has not been making bikes as long as Honda like Terry M has mentioned. However this is what make them such great value. They are trying to break into a competitive market and are offering features that some are not. Honda built a good reputation but why should you have to pay MORE good hard earned dollars to own one. Take for instance in the 90's their 300cc model went unchanged for 5 years but the price went up $500 a year. What more did the poor sap get 5 years later for his $2500. NOTHING!! Arctic Cat use Suzuki engines. What race do you think build these? Hmm.. Is it not Suzuki that made the first 4 wheeler or least amongst the first. If you want to see how you bike is going to stand up look at how many old Suzuki's are still on the trail.
As far as the auto transmissions any of the articles I have read all claim the test drivers liked the Cats setup the best. The engine braking was not jerky or disappointing like some other brands. I know you will not be disappointed with either bikes. But why not take advantage of Cats marketing stragedy and buy a bike with greater features with legendary Suzuki engines. Maybe someday we will have to over pay for our Cats too.
Enjoy you new bike. There both great products!!!

Old 02-01-2002, 03:25 PM
Range Rover

well i only have one friend with an ac atv and he just got it so not much help there but i have several friends with Hondas who use them lightly (plowing the diveway ,light trail riding)and generaly there hassle free but the one friend i have that that beats on his rubicon has had several significant problems one major The worst of which was his front diff housing blew apart from bolts that had broken inside.(major bucks) I just went to tousley sports in white bear MN with him to have it worked on for the third time in less then a year (unacceptable to me) anyways i cant tell ya much about cats but i can say my polaris has been flawless and i use it hard (very very abbused) anyways id go with the cat just my opinion with a little info good luck

Old 02-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

Honda reliability??????
Dont kid yourself,The Hondas have slipped in recent years,and the sad part of the situation is that American honda will fight tooth and nail to avoid warranty issues.I am currently embroiled in a smallclaims suit with the local honda dealer over the dismall relibility issues with the 450 es.American honda has not been able to respond to the problems with any credible answers.Ill post the whole issue with paper work, as soon as the legal matter is complete.I have owned all types of Honda products over the years and it is sad to see the recent decline in quality and the arrogant attitude.I have a cat also and have had a minor problem. Both the dealer and the manufactuer were eager to help and remedy.Aside from who is the most cooperative dealer/manufacturer,I feel the Artic cat is a better product in most areas.Better and heavier frame,suspension,quieter engine,Much better brakes in every respect.Ultimately all this competition will force a better product for all of us.......

Quick Reply: AC 500 auto or honda 45o