Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

NEED HELP WITH NEW TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002 | 06:16 PM
|
Trailblazer

I've aked for help in the tire section, but it was pretty obvious that nobody gives a crap! My post had 27 views and no responses!
I have heard good things about Dirt Devil XT's. Good Year Mud Runners were also recomended. My riding conditions consist of: wet and sloppy trails with slippery hills. THERE IS NO REAL MUD TO BE FOUND! Also, the trails tend to dry out in the summer and some of those big hills become like hard-pack. Anyway, my dad just bought a Quest with 589's the other day. Yesterday was the first time we've had a chance to take a nice long ride together. I out climbed my dads Quest with 589's with my AC 500 with half-worn 489's! I couldn't believe it! But we are both in the market for new tires. I like the looks of the 27x10-12 or 28x10-12 Dirt Devil XT's, but i found a GREAT deal on 27x9-12 Mud Runners. Which do you think you better suite our riding style? THANKS!

Old 02-03-2002 | 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

I've been kicking around the idea also. I've sold my 589s and need to replace them. I've been getting some good reviews on the DDs. I know people with the runners and am not impressed with them at all. The 589s are a tough tire to beat in the mud and overall. I've got allmost 1800 miles on mine and they are still good. I just want to get away from running the spacers on the rear. So I'm looking at 27x10 all the way around. The 589 are only available in 27x9, same with the runners. I am looking at the Gators and Dirt Devils. The 27x10 Gators seem to be more rounded, and I'm afraid they will wear the centers out quick. Does any one know how the DDs wear? I've pretty much decided on them. Does anyone have anything to add to change my mind?
The DDs and Gators are much cheaper than the runners, and lighter.

Old 02-03-2002 | 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

I know you did not ask about them, but I like Kenda Bearclaws. They do well on hills, on hardpack, in snow, and in bush. I have not had them in deep mud however. Maybe someone else has.

Old 02-03-2002 | 09:35 PM
Range Rover

I'm picking up a set of Dirt Devils for my 650 Kawi tomorrow I'll let you know how they perform. The conditions at present are:hard pack frozen ground with 4" of snow cover and more forecasted for tomorrow.

Old 02-03-2002 | 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

I ruled the bearclaws out because of the shallow tread. I really like the Gators and DDs.
Anyone else have these, and have something to say? All is welcome good or bad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2002 | 07:08 PM
|
Trailblazer

I ruled out the Bearclaws also, because of the shallow tread. The 10 inch wide tire only have about 1/2 an inch tread and the 12 inchers only have about 3/4" of tread, which seems silly to me for a 27 or 28 inch tire.
My dad just ordered 28" Dirt Devil XT's for his Quest today. I'll let you know how they perform ASAP. I'm anxious to hear how jett's tires do on his Prairie 650. Mudcat, I'm CAT500 from High Lifter's forum, just thought i'd let you know! I've heard some good things about the Dirt Devil XT's at High Lifter. One guy replaced the Blackwaters on his Traxter XT with them and he said he noticed big difference in traction. Another fella said he has them on his Sp 500 HO and he rides on some famous trails (he named the place but i had never heard of it)and he liked them alot. You'll hear bad things about every tire out there at one time or another.
I'll have pictures of my Quest at High Lifter's forum pretty soon!

Old 02-05-2002 | 04:26 AM
Trailblazer

Ive got the 27-10-12 dirtdevil x/t's on my 400. All i can say is if you get them, get ready for some traction.27x10 dd x/t's all the way around dd x/t's from the rear

Old 02-05-2002 | 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

I have the DD 27x10X12 all the way around. If you're gonna stick with the 10" width all the way around, go ahead and get the 28's all the way around if your Cat has the ACT rear end and you dont care about weight. If you have the Independent rear end (400i and 500i) you can fit the 12" width with no problems on the 2002 bikes. The 2001 bike should accomodate the 12" width with no problems as well.

I origianlly had 26X12X12 Dirt Devils on the rear of my 2002 375 4x4. I found that when the ACT really flexed, the inside lugs on the 12" DD's would rub the shocks. So I changed to the 27x10x10 all they way around. The 27x10x12's added 40 lbs to the bike when factoring out the weight of the stock tires. I found that the stock wheels by themselves weighed about 10 lbs each. Hope this helps.

The difference between the Stock tires and the Dirt Devils is unbelieveable. They are smooth as silk on hard pack at any speed as well. You wont be dissapointed.

I ruled out the Mud Runners, you will too if you see DD and the Mud runner side by side. I like the Gator very much, but it's oriented more toward mud. If you do more mudding then, get the Gator.

Good Luck!

EtherNut

Old 02-05-2002 | 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

I just ordered the 27' Gators. I feel like I could give up a little hardpack traction, for some mud traction. Plus the Gators were cheaper trough my dealer. Slightly more than the cheapest mailorder place. I like to keep my $s local and I'm sure he appreciates it.
I should have them by Friday so I'll get some pics.

i could give up a little hardpack traction

Old 02-05-2002 | 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

for riding on trails with slick conditions and hardpack i have found the bearclaws to be great tires, as long as deep mud will not be encountered. Also, i have a question for you; if your not going to be riding in deep mud how come you want to run either a 27" or 28" tire instead of a 25" or 26"? Also just wondering, how does the quest compare to the arctic cat, i've pretty much ridden every quad out there except the the bombadier 4X4's. good luck on tires.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP WITH NEW TIRES