Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Bi/Tri Claws, Mud Sharks or Titan 589M/T's

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All:
I have decided to put LARGER tires on my 2001 500 Auto. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Have read lots of great info on this forum. Expecially about the Bi/Tri Claws combo(27x9.75x12 and 27x12x12) I really like this set up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. So far this is my present choice. If I do this I probably won't do the spacer lift, unless it is necessary. Will this be a problem?

The Titan 589 M/T's are also a consideration. Have heard good things about these too.(27x9x12 and 27x11x12) But need to hear more about these tires.

Saw some Mud Sharks at a local dealer (not AC) and they look like quite a good tire, but again have not heard much about them. They have in stock four 28x10x12 and two each of 26x10x12 and 26x12x12. Would the 28's be too much for the 500 auto? Also these seem to have a softer rubber. Does anyone know how these wear? If they wear out too fast I will stay with the Bi/Tri combo.

Choices, choices, and more choices. What a dilemma!! I need info on any of these tires or combos. All opinions are welcome. The dealer with the Mud Sharks has had them for a while and wants to unload them. I can get the 28's for about 30% less than the Titan's or Bi/Tri Claws and the 26's for about 65% less. Is the savings worth it? Or should I still spend the money on the Bi/Tri Claws? The $$$ is not a real issue but why spend extra $$$'s when it's not necessary. The Titan's and Claws are fairly close in price (locally).

I usually ride on fairly good trails but enjoy the mud. (did someone say "MUD" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) Also do some "bush crashing" and make our own trails. Not a lot of rock climbing but do come across some now and then. Plow snow in winter (60" blade) and do a fair amount of riding in the winter snow also. A guess would be around 40% of my riding is in the winter. I will be mounting these tires on my present stock rims. Any problem there?

Sorry about the long post but just want some more info. I am a detail kind of a guy and am willing to read any and all replies. Knowing me I would probably do some sort of spreadsheet and analyze all the info, break it down and do it again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] hahaha

Thanx again,

Shmoky

PS Cowboy & Andy Bassham, you both have been running the Bi/Tri Claws set up for awhile now. How about a longterm update????

Old 02-25-2002, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

I cant tell you about the Bi/Tri combo but I know Cowboy is very happy with his. I have personally had the MudSharks and the 589s. You are correct about the soft compound. They wore much faster than the Bearclaws I had on the same machine. I now have 589s and although I dont have a lot of miles on them yet I am sure (judging by the hardness) they will easily outlast the Mudsharks. I think either the Bi/Tri or the 589s would do you well!

Old 02-25-2002, 07:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've probably got a thousand miles on them by now. I switch them out at times, but I've had them a while, and I can kind of determine from how many miles I put on them with the Arctic Cat and the Grizz combined. They have held up really good. The fronts obviously have worn more than the rears did (Still like an inch or more of tread on the fronts in the very center line), but thats because you steer with the fronts. Plus, I ride on pavement ALL the time, just cruising from one place to the next, so mine haven't had the best conditions for good tread life. Still, they will last me for a long time still. I bet I could go to 4000 miles on them before they got down too low. Of course, thats speculation and I have no idea.

Basically, they will probably last most people longer than they own their quad (seeing most people switch quads every 3 years or so). They are more of a mud tire than a trail tire, but they handle trails better than any other good performing mud tire I know. They can hang close to the ultimate mud tires, and ride better and steer better. They are also true to size, and will fit easily under a non lifted AC. If you get it in a spot where the rear flexes hard to the left, they will rub the muffler, but it wasn't enough to really bother me. With ITP rims, they don't really rub because of the offset.

The other tires are good too from what I've heard. If it was me, I would get the Claws again. I've had a few folks ask me about them before, namely Cowboy and Silverbear. Both were extremely content with the tires after they got them. Its a really good tire. I don't think you would be dissapointed with it. I think Silverbear found a good deal on them from East Kentucky Motorsports. I bought mine from Highlifter, and got the wheels from Rocky Mountain.

Old 02-25-2002, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Despite the name the Mudsharks aren't a very good mud tire, when compared to the other choices. I have heard nothing but good things about the Bi- Tri combo. I have no experience with these tires myself, but they do look good. I had the ITP 589MS before I got my present tires. These tires were very good, I had about 1800 miles on them when I got rid of them. They were not wore out by any means. I am now running the Gators mainly because of weight and price. I really like these too, more bite than the 589s, probably won't last as long. From the choices that you have given I like the bi-tris, then the 589s, and then the mudsharks. The sharks would be great if you didn't do a lot of mudding. I've got some pics of the 589s and Gators on cats in my pic link. Good luck I know it is a tough decision.

Old 02-25-2002, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the Titan 589 M/T's in 26x9 & 26x12 for my 400. I only have about 50 miles or so on them so far, but I really like them. Mostly because they make it look mean. I ride on hard pack alot, but like to mud also, and the 589's seem to be a good tire for both. At speeds less than 5mph you can feel each lug smack the ground on hard ground but that is no big deal. These are 6 ply Heavy, that is the only draw back I see with them. I can't compare them to the claws or the mud sharks, because I have never been around them.

Old 02-26-2002, 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've been around 589's once and they were 25" on a Rubicon. The guy got it stuck, and even though I had my Claws, I didn't venture in cause I know good and well I would have got stuck too. I did ride it, and they had an exceptionally good ride in the woods and over rocky stuff.

Old 02-26-2002, 07:51 AM
Range Rover

HEY DUDES, I have titans 589 m/s 26 on my 400i , I to like andy ride the road a lot between trails , I only have 175 miles on them , they seem heavy but they go very good , Sunday I let the air down to 4 pounds and rode about 15 miles on some ruff trail, really helped the ride , The fronts are rounded to improve steering , these tires have a thick side wall , and seem to be wearing very little , I think the next tire I try will be dirt devils , I like them to , I allso have so carlis strikers on my sons quad they allso do very good , and wear very little , and walmart sells them cheaper then anyone , and here they mount them free , big plus here , locale tire shop charged me 10.00 a tire a year ago to mount some atv tires , that wont happen again , well hope I HELPED some , CHUNKY BOY

Old 02-26-2002, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

Hey mudcat47537, are you using these tire with out a lift kit? and if so any clearance problems?

Old 02-27-2002, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

No lift and no clearence problems. I am running the 27x10 on all 4 with spacers, but I allready had the spacers so I used them. You wouldn't need the spacers with the 10s, but they are needed with the 12s on the 02s. I really like this setup, you can tell the difference in the weight, between the 589s (27x9f & 27x11r). The 589 is a good tire also but for the price I would get the Gators. I'm sure there are other opinions. I also like the bi-tri combo, but not many run that around here.

Old 02-27-2002, 09:48 AM
Range Rover

Thanx for all the replies. I thought it would be a choice between the Claws and the 589s and you proved me right. Mudcat I really appreciate the honest report on the Mud Sharks. They might be the cheapest but as they are the softer rubber they will definetely wear too fast for me.

Now for some wheelin and dealin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] with the dealer. Time to crunch the #'s and twist some arms.

Thanx again,

shmoky