Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 500i: Auto or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plunked down the bucks for a 2002 AC 500i Auto today. I'm a little concerned by all the negativity towards the 'belt drive' thing, and the auto in general. This is my first ATV ever, but I sprung for the auto because I ride sleds a lot. I really liked the AC (the Grizzly 660 was my other choice) but I am wondering if I should call the dealer and tell him to cancel the auto, I'll take the manual...Any and all comments welcome, thanks in advance. By the way, $6599 OTD, with the Warn 2500# winch and roller fairlead.

Old 02-26-2002, 07:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it was me (and this is opinionated), I would have the manual. I've got an auto with the griz, but there was no choice in the matter with all the 600+ quads being autos. I would trade it in a minute if a manual shift was available.

With the manual shift, you don't ever lose power because of a worn belt, never worry about it breaking, can go through water with complete confidence because there's no belt to get wet. (yes belt drives can go through some deep water, but the matter is totally eliviated with the manual geared transmission). The manual will decend hills slower and in more control than the auto, and of course you can control your shift points and rpm easier.

Those are all my personal reasons to perfer the manual tranny. Some guys really like automatics, and of course if you have ridden sleds for a while, it might be something that you are accustomed to and would prefer.

Old 02-26-2002, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

My logic is this, the way the manufacturers are going with their top of the line machines, pretty soon you won't have the option of getting a manual. It might be wise to get one before they become extinct. Nothing wrong with an auto though.

Old 02-26-2002, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

An auto does have some advantages though. In deep snow and on hills (especially if there's deep snow on the hill[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) an automatic has the advantage of not having to shift. When you shift you loose momentum, loose momentem and you get stuck.
The auto downshifts on it's own and you never have to let off the gas.

Old 02-26-2002, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

delta, I am very happy and also very impressed with my 500i auto. I also had a tough time deciding between the auto and manual. I posted the same question here on this forum a month or two back. I got a lot of good feedback about the auto which helped me make my decision. Cut and paste this link for all the replys I received:
http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...;keyword1=help

By the way I also had owned a 2000 Arctic Cat 300 4x4 (manual) which I was also very happy with. But hey why worry about shifting if you don't have to.

Old 02-26-2002, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've got a 2001 500 auto which I am generally happy with.I do have two complaints though 1)The belt squealing/chirping thing is starting to bug me,it has been happening more and more and I am beginning to wonder.I have also had to replace the bearings in the belt housing at 300 miles.
2)I am sure that the auto drains a lot of power and blows the gas mileage all to hell.I know this because my buddy has a 98 AC 500 that can smoke mine both in acceleration and top end and gets a lot better mileage.
However for the vast majority of the riding and working that I do it does the job well and with my kids and wife riding it occasionally the auto makes sense.But when I buy another machine I would probably opt for the manual or electric shift.

Old 02-27-2002, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 2002 500 Auto. The style of riding has a lot to do with it also. I ride some serious mountain grades and don't have to worry about gear changes when the headwall gets too tough. Also, my wife and son ride the quad also. Since they are beginers they don't have to learns the mechanics of gear changing. (I may have to buy another quad because of this.) Granted you loose some acceleration and contol but you gain a lot in convienience. Finally, I kind of like the whine of the belt it reminds me of a turbo spoolingup.

My 2 cents.

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2002, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Has anyone played with the clutching to try and improve acceleration. That's one of the things I like about belt driven quads, it's so easy to get extra performance with some simple clutch work.