Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Power difference between a 375 and a 500?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 10:38 AM
TG1
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully I'm not getting one anybody's nerves but I was just wondering how much of a power difference there is between a 375 and a 500. After making the rounds to every other brand dealership, the 500 ACT is easily my favorite bike. Just wondering if in the real world of trail riding if there a big difference between the two. After talking to the dealer I can get a 02 for $5510 + $50 doc + tax. Oh yea, don't worry about telling me to shut up and go buy something.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2002, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

I have driven both and could tell a big difference.

Old 03-10-2002, 05:41 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

I've driven both but it wasn't on the same day or at the same dealer. Basically, I thought the 500 had tons of torque and more than enough ponies for any trail riding situation. Like everything else you can question yourself to death about making the right choice. Right now it looks like I'll go with the 500 given the excellent price, reliability history, as long as the payments aren't out of this world...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2002, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer

Something you might want to consider is whether you want a manual or an auto. As you probably know, the 375 is auto only while you can get a 500 manual or auto. I just got my 500i manual yesterday and I have yet to get it out of 3rd gear (driveway is not long enough [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ). I can tell you that I am VERY pleased with the power so far. This thing is a blast to ride and will be even better when it is broken in. I testrode a 375 last September and I was thought it was a decent machine as well. However, I'm not fussy with automatic trannies. It's difficult for me to judge the power of the 375 auto with my 500i manual because a big part of power is acceleration and acceleration differs between auto and manual trannies. All in all, I don't think you'd be underpowered either way.

Old 03-10-2002, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

If you can swing it you should get the 500. You may think the 375 will be enough but after you ride for awhile and get use to it, you may wish you had more power. I see lots of people do this and end up going back to trade up with in a year.
I haven't ridden the 375 very much but it seems like a nice quad. I've had a 500a and I personally don't like the belt drive on any quad. However there are several who do like the belt drive autos. That seems like what all the manufacturers are going to.
My advice is if you are allready wondering if it will be enough power for you, you should go with the 500.

Old 03-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

I have a 500 auto and my father-in-law has a 375. The 375 has decent power to satisfy most people, that is until you drive a 500 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] The 500 delivers alot more low-end grunt. Running the 375 on very familar trails that I run the 500 on all the time, I find myself "pinning" the throttle more on the 375 instead of just "blipping" it with the 500. Mid range and above the difference isn't as evident. I'm not knocking the 375, I like it, but the 500 is obviously going to have more power. Hope this helps.

Oh, I forgot, his price on the 375 was $5050 before taxes, seems to help being closer to Minnesota. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2002, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

I would agree with TCAT on the grunt of the 500! But I look at it from a little different perspective.

YES, there are times that I would like more power, I have to admit that up front. Have there been any times for me that I NEEDED more power? Nope. ANY of the quads AC offers will break traction before they bog down and quit. All of them are useless when you're in the wrong gear in some serious gumbo or on a steep hill that you really shouldn't be on/attempting, then it's just your own fault your gear choice wasn't better! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The 375 I own is about as fuel inefficient as I would want. If I had the 500 I know It would eat gas quicker. I realize the mileage would be better if I had the manual, and I understand the auto eats some horsepower from the motor. But I DO like the auto very much, it just so darn convenient! With the type of riding I do, I push the limits of my gas tank almost everytime I go out.

I would like more grunt, but I don't wanna be hauling a gas tank with me either. In fact, some of the guys back home asked me what type of gas tank I took with me when I rode. I responded that I didn't take one. They seemed surpised! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Most of them are riding those quads with the 3 gallon tanks that are empty after 30-40 miles.

So for the 375 I think the power it has, coupled with the mileage is a darn good combo!

I'm loooking forward to getting it paid off! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Good luck in your decision!

EtherNut