Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

yamaha 2002 big bear 400 4x4 or AC 375??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody have any info on these machines? like the big bear for yamaha and was looking at teh AC 375. both nice machines. need it for hunting, farm work, and trail mudding.

Old 03-26-2002, 08:36 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

buckmaster149
You've got a tough choice; personally I'd go with the 375. The 375 has more features, disc brakes, single lever braking, auto tranny, hi/low range, full floor boards, full skid plating, larger oil cooler, and a better rear suspension. The Big bear is a great machine (a couple of my buddies have them) but the Cat seems to be built better for a life of harsh use. Besides a 375 will generally cost less.
I have no regrets buying a 375 (of course I've only had it for one weekend). Test drive both and see what one you like more.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2002, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

I would get the 375 for SURE.. but that is jsut me. I have this thing against the BB for some reason. I don't know why, i just don't like them that much. But I would recommend riding both and getting what you feel will be the best for you. Don't get one that you don't REALLY want because that decision might come back to haunt ya..

newf

Old 03-26-2002, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

TG1,
I would agree with most of what you said about the advantages of the 375. With the exception of the brakes. Having independent front and rear brakes is an assest, not a liability. Plus you don't need a hi/low range with a manual shift.

Rick

Old 03-27-2002, 07:39 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

GrizRick
It all depends on what you like, I prefer to have a single lever (simpler on steep hills and other tricky spots). As for Hi/low ranges there's a few 5-speed machines that offer that feature. For the most part you'll never need a low range but it's nice to have.

Old 03-27-2002, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

GrizRick:

I would never ever buy a machine without High/Low, even if it was a 650!! When you run big tires and when the mud gets deep you need low range or your just going to power out way to often. Last year I got stuck in mud twice where my old Quadrunner 500 4x4 would not turn the tires in high or low range. If my cat never had low range I wouldn't have bought it. Low range is a must on a manual. Once you need low range you will never again question why its there.

Old 03-27-2002, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

A very good question.
The choice here is really between proven technology with rock solid reliability VS a new design with lots of nice features.
The 375 will certainly have a cushier ride, and better ground clearance. However, the Big Bear has an infinate lists of aftermarket parts and accessories available.

I think the choice should come down price, and to whether you want Auto or not.

Oh yea, I'd agree that the linked braking system is a very bad idea, at least for anyone with motorcycle expirience.
And you don't need the low range with the Big Bear. 1st gear is really low anyway.
As well, for a life of harsh use it would be very hard to beat the Big Bear. It's been around for about 15 yrs now, and have proven very dependable.

Trending Topics

Old 03-27-2002, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

you may also want to look into the eiger, it weighs less than the arctic cat and has split front and rear braking. plus it is also available in a manual shift, a must for me.

Old 03-27-2002, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with Zukiscott, don't by a mid-size bike without testing the Eiger. It is a really nice machine. I also agree with Bbertram, a high/low range is a good thing, especially when you have a manual. Many people who own autos claim they got them because they don't want the hassle of shifting. However, with a low range manual, you will find that you can ride the inconsistent technical stuff often without changing gears much. I rode on a trail last weekend that was very inconsistent... twenty feet smooth and flat, BIG puddle, smooth, HILL (you get the idea). In low range you can use one gear to tackle it all. I call low third the "magic gear" because it is powerful enough to get you through the tuff stuff, and long enough to carry you through the easier stuff. Not saying you won't ever have to shift, but with a low range, you won't have to shift as frequently doing certain types of riding. Hope that helps.

Old 03-28-2002, 03:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My main qualm about the Big Bear is that it is fairly narrow, and the swingarm doesn't hold a candle to the ACT rear end. I like its turning most of all though. A lot better than the 375 I would assume and I have not rode it. Still, I would probably go with a 375 over the big bear for everything other than the automatic transmission. The 375 will have a better ride obviously, and will be more stable.

Quick Reply: yamaha 2002 big bear 400 4x4 or AC 375??