Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Wheels Squeaking on 500i??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 500i has about 150 miles on it and I noticed a funny loud squeaking noise comming from the wheels when I make turns. I can also produce the same noise by pushing hard on the top of the tire. It does it on all four wheels. It's almost like the wheels themselves are flexing. My friend has a 400i with about the same miles on it and it does the same thing. Has anyone else experienced this and found out exactly what's going on?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 04-21-2002, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

I noticed the same thing on the 500i today while riding. It has 150 miles as well. This was the first time I heard it. It was almost like something was rubbing against the wheels as they went around making a pulsing squeak... hmmmm i wonder what it is... anyone know?

newf

Old 04-21-2002, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

Could be the brake pads. Does it still squeak when you apply the brakes? My brake pads squeak, always have and probably always will. I have ,1,850 miles on mine now and have worn out the pads and replaced them once. It probably is not the bearings, too soon for that. Probably the pads.

Old 04-21-2002, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Take your wheel off and look in the very center of the rear wheel. I believe the axle is rubbing on the inside of the wheel, chunky had this problem. I would think you could grind the end of the axle down to stop it, but I don't have an i.

Old 04-21-2002, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

Cooper, applying the brakes makes no difference. Mudcat, I don't see a problem with the axle. I can make the noise with the bike parked and pushing hard on the top of the tires. It's not like a metal on metal grinding, it's more like the squeaking of an old rocking chair. Thanks for the inputs!

Bob

Old 04-21-2002, 11:41 PM
Range Rover

hey bob i had the same problem , I even called cat , mine was the end of the axle rubbing the center of the rim I put a little grease on the end of the axle and it stopped the noise then , that sound will drive you nuts , I agree the wheels do flex , but I couldnt get cat to hear me , want the head enginneer ph no , e mail me I ll give to you , He wouldnt listen to me , well he listened but he didnt here me if you know what i mean , I dont like the new wheels I like the old ones better , try the grease see if it works for you ,

chunky

Old 04-22-2002, 09:20 AM
Range Rover

Hmmm, mine makes more of a rubbing sound instead of a sqeaking I will try some grease and see what it does... Thanks for the info...

Old 04-22-2002, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

I'll add my .02 cents to this. On my 500i the front rims do rub on the inside when you make a full hard turn. I have never heard anything rubbing on the back rims, it doesn't even seem possible to rub on the back rims. I wonder if you were to put 1 thick washer per stud on each wheel if it would offset the rims enough to prevent rubbing? I mean put the washer on and then the wheel and then the nuts on the studs. I don't see this causing any harm, does anyone else? When I get home for lunch I'll take a quick look at the rear and see if anything rubs though.

Old 04-22-2002, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

Mudcat/Chunkyboy,

Thank you very much! It was exactly what you guys said it was. I misread Mudcats reply and was inspecting the axle itself. The greese worked but I think I'm going to dress the axles down a little with a file as well.

Thanks again,
Bob

Old 04-22-2002, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem on my 500 with the tires rubbing on the shocks in the front at full hard turn. I had my brother the machinist make me aluminum washers 1/2 inch thick by 1 inch in diameter. This solved the rubbing problem on the tires in the front. No problems with the rears. Do not waste your money buying aftermarket spacers, you can easily make them up with some solid aluminum rod 1" diameter, drill out the center go to the hardware and buy some longer wheel bolts. I have a 1999, 500 that had the wide front tires, same as the rears. Titan 495's
My 500 had the wheel bolts, 2000's came out with wheel studs I think, but they eliminated the wide front tires, so no more rubbing problems.

Quick Reply: Wheels Squeaking on 500i??