Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Warn Winch Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a suggestion for owners of the new 2500 pound Warn winch. You may have seen in a previous post that I had a problem with the switch. Now I have a different problem. My winch seemed to slip gears while winching in. I looked at it last night and noticed there are four rods that hold the winch together. These are basicly through the whole length of the winch. On mine two of the four rods have lost the retaining screws on the end cap and the engage/freespool end has pulled away from the winch body. I have to clean up the bike and take it into the dealer Monday but I wanted to let everyone in on this. I would recommend checking for loose screws before you get stuck and need the winch to get home.

Old 06-01-2002, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

I stripped the end housing on my 2500 Warn. I took it as pulling too hard or a slight jerk. I got another one from my Cat dealer for less than $25. Not too bad, but I will be more carefull from now on. I know of other 2500 Warn winches that have the same problem. I wonder if they are reaching the upper limit of this design as far as capacity goes. The whole winch is plastic and this is what the planetary gears run in. This is what stripped out on mine and others that I have seen.

Old 06-02-2002, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

As far as I'm concerned the Warn winch is a piece of garbage. I've bought mine new had had nothing but trouble. When I needed it, it only worked about 50% of the time. I'm about to hook it up direct with a 30 amp kill switch. Everyone else here has a super winch and they've all been flawless(Most all use a warn switch though). I'll be going with a super winch next time. Any one else out there have troubles with the Warn?

Old 06-02-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Its funny I had a super winch on my last quad and that thing was a POS. It would always power out, my new warn has been flawless and it has never powered out yet. Next time I'm going to try the Ramsey with the wireless remote.

Old 06-02-2002, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Do you ride in any amount of mud and water? The warn doesn't like water at all and the solenoid is nothing but trouble. That's why I'm removing the solenoid and wiring it up direct. It's completely unreliable. I might change my opinion once it's hooked up direct. I even have the solenoid installed under the seat to keep it dry.

Old 06-02-2002, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Sambo... shouldnt you be working? ;] Mine is direct now, and seems to be better...

Me

Going out Tuesday? Get that grease off your belt haha.

Old 06-02-2002, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

I'm off!! WOO HOO!!! I suppose you're working monday...I'd volunteer you to help me do up my clutch on monday. That's alright...I'll do it ALL BY MYSELF!! If you think work and paying the bills are more important......

Old 06-02-2002, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

umm i can easily get the day off... Bleh im just gunna call ya...

Get a real internet connection... you bum. I did call and it was busy, dammed dial ups... hehe JK. You never know i may show up out there any how... ;] Can T do valves?

Moi

Old 06-02-2002, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

My first Warn worked great for over 3 years of mud and water. The people around here that I know that have had or have a Superwinch seem to have their share of problems then some. I have one buddy that has the new Ramsey and he likes it but he has stripped his clutch end housing too. They look identacle to the Warn inside and out. I helped him fix his and there was no difference in the housings. I've hearde good things about the Rule winch, but know of knowone that has had one.

Old 06-03-2002, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Warn, Ramsey and Moose are all the same winches, Warn probably doesn't even make them. I bet they are made in some 3rd world country somewhere and sold to different companies. The Rule winch is supposed to be the very best winch you can buy, I heard its all steal, no plastic. Its also very expensive, I might give that one a go next time, it all depends on how much cash I got next time I buy a quad. I have taken my warn in allot of water and mud, I have even used my warn winch with the solenoid under water. Its been working great for me, so far.

Quick Reply: Warn Winch Woes...