Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Belt Slip 2001 500

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heard that these are good in water,so got one and the first real test[2 weeks ago]it failed.Was playing in the mud then went for a 1/2 mile ride back to clean up,this ment going the perimeter of a pond. I got abouy 15 feet into it and started to slip.I made it out very slowly and keept it going for a few hundred yards to get a wrench to drain it.I drained it and all was good.
I did splash hard but by no means was the water deep.I know that it has 3 vents and looks like the new ones have 2.I'm not sure on what vent took on water but I don't like the left side one being so low and it kinda looks like the one that comes in from the top was the problem[the one that the new ones don't have].
Looks like I am going to raise the left one and maybe seal off the other.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2002, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

The water does tend to splash into the intake tube if going kinda fast. One of the tubes is intake other exhaust for warm air. Found out if take it slower and build a standing wave that helps. I used to go barreling through also. Also when you do get out put in Neutral and rev it a bit this will blow the water out exaust. It actually works I found out after I had opened my clutch cover more than once to drain it. Would not go sealing them off though. Have heard of people rerouting them and also someone put a nylon over the intake (not sure on shade)to help deflect water.

Old 07-24-2002, 10:31 PM
Range Rover

Make sure you put it in low and keep on the throttle. I've been in water rack deep with my sons 2000 500 auto and seldom get water in the belt primary case. also its a good idea to shut off the fan as deep water can reach the fan blades and blow a fuse. If you "dilly-dally" in the water go to slow or stop water will flood in and you'll need to drain.

I almost forgot the middle vent, the one under the seat by the air cleaner box the intake for that vent should be turned around that will keep the water from splashing in. Arctic Cat sent out a memo on this last year I think.