Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Auto Tranny Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer told me he heard noises from my auto tranny that indicated to him a clutch or bearing problem. The thing sounds the same to me as when new, and runs perfectly. He told me riding it for a couple more days probably wouldn't hurt it, but he wants it back to look at the tranny. Anyone have experience with this? He said a few of the 2002 500's had this issue. Thank goodness it is under warranty. BTW, ball joint fixed: He said his mechanic most likely didn't properly torque the cap and the c-clip may have been weak.

Old 09-22-2002, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

If it's under warranty, I wouldn't hesitate to let them work on it. If it is a bearing issue I would think the noise would be pretty obvious. But you are saying that it sounds the same as the day you bought it. Have you had the machine submersed? Then I could see that the clutch housing bearings might be shot, but if you haven't swamped it then I am clueless.

The only thing I have ever heard on my 2000 500 is an occasional belt bark.

Keep everyone updated on your dilemma!!

Old 09-22-2002, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

It has never been swamped or submersed. Like I said, I don't hear anything different than what it has always sounded like. My dealer seems to lean toward something in the clutches. I'm taking it back to him this week to let him figure it out. I brought it home after the ball joint fix and was going to ride today, but didn't find anyone to go. (I bought the second ATV for buddies to ride, but I can't find anyone to go!)

It is under warranty, so I'm not too worried. I really will be surprised if it requires anything more than adjustment. It works perfectly. It idles fine, accelerates slowly or quickly without trouble, and pulls a loaded lawn trailer with no sweat.

I'll post when I find out what's up. I have a very good dealer and the service manager has become a friend. I think they are just trying to make sure I enjoy the machine and don't have a problem on the trail. (It doesn't hurt that I am an administrator in a large school district that buys all of its John Deere products from this dealer, too!)