Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

my cat smokes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my cat smokes

I have a 2000 Arctic Cat 300 4x4 with about 1300 miles on it. It smokes real bad; also skips and sputters at high speeds (like its cutting off). Can anyone tell me what could be causing this?
thanks

Old 12-03-2002, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default my cat smokes

Most likely it is time for a rebuild. Have you ever swamped it ? Do you change the oil and filter regularly as well as cleaning and reoiling the air filter? I had to rebuild our 250 cat because there is a line coming from the airbox on the carb side of the filter that has a plastic plug in it. Well our plug got knocked out somehow and was sucking unfiltered air straight into the motor. I bored it to the first oversize and put new piston and rings in it for around $120. It runs good now and that hose is sealed off much better. You should check your it comes from the airbox and drops down kind of behind the foot brake lever. It is about 5/8" black. Make sure there is a plug in it.

Old 12-03-2002, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default my cat smokes

hope your cat quits smoking soon... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2002, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default my cat smokes

Smoked an alley cat with my air rifle last weekend LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]:

Seriously, sounds like you've blown some rings and have oil bypass and no compression. Does your recoil starter pull easily?

Old 12-07-2002, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default my cat smokes

Sounds like you've been deep sea diving. Check the oil to see if there's water in it. Your Cat 300 cc. is one of the best engines on the market. But they all need an owner that takes care of them.
Chuck

Old 12-12-2002, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default my cat smokes

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad coil.

Old 12-12-2002, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default my cat smokes

man sounds like u sank dat baitch like da titanic sank man u better drain ur motor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2002, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default my cat smokes

To everyone that asked.. yes I did swamp it (several times) however i changed the oil each time as soon as i got it home . I do like to change the oil frequently (maybe to often). While it was pretty stupid of me to put myself in the situation that the atv was filled with water I do however take good care of my machine. I have talked to several people that tell me the motor should be bored over and replace the pistons and rings. Should i go ahead and start looking for a machine shop or take it to my crapy expensive dealer for an evalution? thanks for all the information

hopful my cat will stop smoking ( its not good for its health) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2002, 05:38 AM
Trailblazer
Default my cat smokes

trade it in for a new one! problem solved.

Old 12-24-2002, 01:29 PM
Range Rover
Default my cat smokes

check your airfilter i know it sounds funny but it maybe whats happening i had a 2000 300 4x4 and it did the same thing
it barely would move and sputtered alot and smoked like crazy my brother had a 250 2x4 too and that did the same thing if the filter got really dirty

just a thing to check cuz it happened to me but where you swamped it it maybe more than that but id check that first

hope it helps good luck

Quick Reply: my cat smokes