Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

BAD BRAKES!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD BRAKES!

I think I remember reading sometime ago about people having problems with the master cylinders on '02 cats. Mine just took a dump. I guess I left the parking brake set in the garage, I went to take it out and now I have no preasure. Nothing leaked, And I tried bleeding the lines. When i pull the brake leaver I can hear what sounds like air............. Does anyone have an idea what might have happend?
Thanks... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2002, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default BAD BRAKES!

are they drums?

Old 12-18-2002, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default BAD BRAKES!

Discs, front and rear.

Old 12-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default BAD BRAKES!

I had something similar happen to mine. I was plowing and lost pressure. I had to use the foot brake till I could take it to the dealer. There was a recall on the brake switch or something but that wasn't the problem. The dealer had to drill a vent hole somewhere to let the pressure off in the system. There was a service bulletin on that according to my dealer. Try that. My brakes work better now but I sometimes still have to pump them a few times to get the pressure up. That and non adjustable shocks are my only complaints about my AC 400.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default BAD BRAKES!

I'm having the same problem on my 2003 500i. My dealer has bleed the system 4 times and still no better.Its a little scary when u r riding behind some one and try to stop and uh oh no brakes gotta pump em up to stop. Is there a dealer out there that can or will fix this???? This is my only complaint about this machine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default BAD BRAKES!

I have the same problem with my brakes, starts to get alittle soft at the lever, but i have never lost all pressure or my brakes. My dealer also suggesting the same thing just bleed the brakes, well didn't work. Would be nice to get this fixed or just find a solution and fix it our selves.

Old 01-05-2003, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default BAD BRAKES!

My 1998 454 had a problem where it would loose all brake pressure after sitting for a while or after a long period of trail riding not useing the brakes much. The lever would squeeze all the way till it touched the grip, pumping it a few times would temp. fix them. At first I tried bleeding the system 4 or 5 times with no luck. Completely pissed I changed the brake pads and cleaned the entire break system out including flushing the lines with fresh brake fluid. I oiled the caliper pistons with some high temp grease and worked them back and forth till they freely slid in and out. After assembly and bleeding I've got the best brakes the quad has ever had and it's got 5300 miles. I did this fix about 2 years ago and I'm still on the same brake pads I put on when I did the fix.

Old 01-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Trailblazer
Default BAD BRAKES!

HUH! Sounds worth a try.

Old 01-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default BAD BRAKES!

i got a '03 400 auto 4/4 and my brakes would get soft i'd have to pump them to use them....ok if you know ur going to use them....sometimes i'd need them and not have them there...dealer changed master cylinder after he and i tried to bleed them....he kinda said it was a hit and miss kinda thing...so anymore they just change them out under warranty....haven't had a problem since....course i got a good dealer....i'd try to get them to change the master cylinder....after all arctic cat really doesn't need anymore bad publicity about bad brakes..........later
last12know

Old 01-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default BAD BRAKES!

I heard back from my dealer today and he is ordering a master for me, He said he talked to ac and they told him to set my parking brake and tilt the machine on a 17 degree angle and leave it over night then to bleed the system again.....................DIDN'T WORK.

Quick Reply: BAD BRAKES!