Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

gas runnin erverywhere??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 10:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas runnin erverywhere??

this guy i know is haveing me come over to help him work on his arctic cat 300 4x4 i guess from what he says everything runs fine but the problem is when he shuts it off and lets it set for a while ( like an hour or less) gas will start to run out of the carb and go everywhere the only way to stop it is to turn the fuel off. my queston is is there any other little things to look for?? im guess a stuck float or something like that anything will help thanks guys

Old 12-21-2002, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

sorry i don't know all the details but ill try to post back again tomorrow thanks

Old 12-22-2002, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

If the gas is coming out of the overflow drain from carb.it might be a tiny piece of dirt in the needle valve.

Old 12-23-2002, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, sounds like dirt in the float valve. I had the same problem with my Big Bear. Disassembled the carb, cleaned it out, paid particular attention to the float valve, and that cured the problem.

Be sure to change the oil before you run it. There is a pretty good chance that some of the gas ran down into the crankcase, where it will dilute the oil.

Old 12-23-2002, 05:27 PM
Range Rover

ok heres the deal i went over yesterday
i pulled the crab cleaned it real good (it looked like mud inside there) put it back on and let it set while we wired the lights then about 2 hours later we try to start it and it would do what it has been doing i guess
the gas would run through the carb and fill the cylinder i think then when you try to start it the gas must run through the open exhaust valve and it the exhaust pipe and it would run around the little donut exhaust seal where the pipe starts to bend
i can't figure out whats wrong so do you guys got any ideas???
thank you

Old 12-23-2002, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

hey mudracer,

Sounds like the needle and seat are bad and need to be replaced....easy and inexpensive. And yes your diagnositc sound correct[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Gas is bleading by the needle and seat into the carb....and overfily it. The extra gas then runs in the intake....past the valve, and into the cylinder. And i suppose if the exhaust vavle was open and the cylinder filled it could run into the exhaust pipe too.good luck

Shaun

Old 12-24-2002, 09:29 AM
Range Rover

thanks SMS069 and everyone else ill have to replace somethings and see what happens

the gas would only run into the exhaust pipe when we would try to start it so i think that the exhaust valve was opening when the engine would start to turn over which would allow the gas to run into the pipe.

any other ideas??? thanks guys

Old 12-28-2002, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

You may also have some water in the system.I would clean the carb,empty the tank,and install an in line filter.Also remember these tanks are vented so they takeon moisture on there own...... especially in the cold weather.Keep the tank full when not in use and a little dry gas doesnt hurt. As far as the fuel leaking from the exhaust goes.......you simply excessively flooded the engine to the point where its running past the exhaust valve.I would certainly change the oil after flooding it that bad.